Friday, June 23, 2017

The Rise of Sneaker Culture encore..



Back in Art Gallery WA following the kick trail upstairs to see a few more fabulous sneaker designs in the The Rise of Sneaker Culture exhibition.. who knew there could possibly be so many! Below a pair of Nike Zoom LeBron 6 inspired by Family Guy character Stewie Griffin. Never put into production only 24 pairs were made available to friends and family by invitation.. the dilemma for those 24 would be sentimental value or actual monetary value, I'd be tempted by the latter.. one more trip to Paris perhaps :)


Below a pair of Air Jordan VII Olympic Gold Medal presented by the Jordan Brand to Chris Paul when he won Olympic Gold in 2012.. no more than three pairs were manufactured making it 'exceptionally rare and sought after'.. an around the world trip for sure :)


I know a redhead.. not 'sporty' but tres cool :) who would be attracted by the glitter of the Puma X Undefeated  Clyde 'Gametime' 24k metallic gold sneakers below.. originally created 'in homage to the US gold medal winning Olympic basketball team'..


Below the 1994  'citron, red and black original colorway of the Reebok Insta Pump Fury is nearly as iconic as the design itself, immediately recognizable from a mile away'. As much as I enjoyed the exhibition I couldn't help wondering at what point did the sneaker morph from being a sports shoe to a modern day status symbol? Happy Friday, take care and stay safe.. P.s. one more from the exhibition tomorrow but it's not about the shoes :)


24 comments:

  1. Some very flashy shoes. I think it crossed that line when it entered the triple digit price tag territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exquisite sneakers worth a lot of money too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sneakers are best kept in a museum. They should never be sold for large amounts of money. They should be about movement and athletics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading an expose about Nike's sneakers. They're made in some southeast Asian country by mostly women paid a paltry amount each day and at that time they cost Nike about 6 cents (that's $.06) per shoe to produce. Those same shoes sold here in the U.S. for about $140.

    I agree with Taken For Granted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't imagine sneakers being worth so much.

    The spiral of sneakers is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they are overrated. Of course if you're an athlete who makes millions, you're overrated too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree about your redhead, my daughter would be exited over those and those only! She's not a sneaker girl, but those would come close. This would be fun seeing in real life. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes I think it is funny how we think these shoes look so great! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, it's a thing! I love the mobile spiraling down the stairwell!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd trade any shoes in a heartbeat to fund a trip to Paris...or parts beyond. But by the looks of most of mine I'm routinely lucky that they're lasting long enough to make a trip to the supermarket...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  11. 24k metallic gold sneakers.. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very unusual display. I know a fellow who is still in high school that would love it. HE rebuilds old sneakers and makes them like new.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these so much to look at. We didn't have those trendy shoes when we were young!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greetings, Grace! Thank you for your very nice comments! Re "herding carts" I wanted to let you in on a little secret - that's Lois Anne pushing the cart. When we got there she grabbed a cart and took off and I saw a photo op and stayed behind until I could get a good shot. I think it worked out OK. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this follow up on yesterday, Great post Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. They had a lot of rare ones at this show. So after I said that I don't wear sneakers all that often, I will admit that for a short period of time I did own a pair of gold ones similar to those above. They were made by the shoe designer Donald Pliner and I bought them on a sale on a bit of a whim at Nordstrom's. I wore them twice but they were exceptionally uncomfortable so I took them to the "re-sale" store so they'd get a second life. I don't think I've bought a pair of sneakers since.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now these do look special, and expensive!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete