Friday, April 12, 2019

Hyperkulturemia..



The other exhibition that I went to see at Art Gallery WA was artist, writer and curator Andrew Nicholls' Hyperkulturemia, a 'contemporary meditation on the Grand Tour' the 17/18th century custom of a traditional trip of Europe by upper-class young men of sufficient means and rank. It's been a while since I've been to an exhibition at the gallery containing quite as much frontal nudity, as a result not too many photos taken as possibly not suitable content for the blog 😉 but I did enjoy the 'warm-hearted celebration of male beauty' :) and will let you read for yourself the artist's account of his work below..


Below an incredibly detailed retake of Michel Angelo's The Last Judgement. Unlike the gentlemen below you will have to embiggen to see the details :) Got to love the diversity of the artistic mind. Happy Friday, take care and stay safe..


19 comments:

  1. Creative works!

    The Grand Tour as it was called was still going on in the 19th century as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I would have enjoyed that art gallery tour 😉 Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I never came from sufficient means or rank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a nice art gallery with lots of creative art to see and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Prejudice against Europeans" - Smollett would fit right in with the Brexiteers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fascinating exhibit! Tobias sounds like someone I once knew who really didn't understand why Europeans didn't speak English. And, I learned a new word "smellfungus". I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another fascinating exhibit. There is so much to see in Perth. It amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for telling the world about the work of Andrew Nicholls. There is humor in that first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting exhibit, and I love the title!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another interesting post from this gallery, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to read. Beautiful art gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like it would be an interesting and kind of fun exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it was in Florence, Grace. They have a stuffed wild boar you can touch and make a wish (I didn´t). Looked just like this pic :-)
    Your title sure is a stumbling block, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is an interesting concept for an exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those Scotts.....
    I think I would have passed over the exhibit without noticing it, but now that I know about it, would have lingered.

    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, quite an interesting place.

    ReplyDelete