Friday, January 23, 2015

Treasures of the Jewish Ghetto of Venice..



When in the city I often call in to the art gallery to see what current exhibitions are on.  As a lover of all things ancient the 'Treasures of the Jewish Ghetto of Venice' instantly appealed. These precious objects from the 17th to early 20th century were hidden in Venice during the war and only recently discovered and restored by Venetian Heritage in time for the 500th anniversary of the Jewish Ghetto of Venice in 2016. Above the hanging lamps (Ner Tamid) hang over the Ark in every synagogue.


Above a late 19th century bronze Hanukkah lamp used to celebrate the eight day festival of Hanukkah or Festival of Lights and below a wall light support c1851 made in silver and wood.. There were many other treasures including a silver Torah crown c1700's very much like the crown shown here. I didn't take as many photos as I could have, instead I spent time admiring these precious reminders of a faith that has endured many horrors over the centuries yet is still resolute today. Can you believe it's Friday again.. have a good one, take care and stay safe...

 The question for CDP'ers on February 1st theme day is this..  If you had to leave forever the city 
from which you usually post, what would you miss most?


27 comments:

  1. What beautiful pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, amazing and moving captures for the day, Grace!! The history is sad, but amazing!! Thank you for sharing these!! I am enjoying Aimees blog!! Such a lovely lady she is!! Hope you both have a beautiful weekend! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world never seems to change, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A thing of beauty is a joy forever" (hopefully, at least).
    That hand-held chanuka lamp is so unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the novelists I read has periodically used that part of Venice as a setting. Beautiful artifacts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always beautiful, I love Venice and the ghetto area!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent photos, Grace! I feel like I've been to the exhibit myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos. Especially the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. dit zijn hele kostbare voorwerpen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing these. I would guess the synagogues to which they belonged are long gone. It's Friday there, so you could celebrate Shabbat tonight by meditating on these artifacts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I expect you will come up with something quite esoteric for the 1st of February.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting and impressive memories ! 17th century , that makes a long way to reach us..

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful, Grace!

    Norma
    New blog address: http://www.thethreersrantsravesandoccasionalreflections.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, I would have enjoyed seeing that too. When I was in Venice a few years ago, we made a point of touring the ghetto and learning the history of the place. Those lamps look very much like lamps I saw in churches there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting treasures, things I have never seen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It must have been exciting to find these things again. If I had to leave Brissy I would miss the weather and my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful captures, and thank goodness they were saved! I know the feeling when you get all wrapped up in something and later you think, why didn't I shoot more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank You G for sharing these objects, the history, and your own appreciated words. And all on the Jewish Sabbath, Friday! You are a blessing.



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. The shadows round each piece of beautiful art add a special dimension of sacred mystery. Appealing perspectives in each photo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What wonderful treasures. Have a great weekend Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those oil lamps remind me of those in the Holy Sepulchre.
    The design goes back millennia. Exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful display and great photos. Loved your comment on my blog today with the phrase of helping "to sort out my life,"--interesting use of language. I always love your comments on my and other blogs because they are invariably positive and upbeat. You make me happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful historical find. I would certainly like to see this exihibit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous shots! I like how you photographed the shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's amazing to me that such beautiful items could be forgotten. And then rediscovered! A true treasure trove.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing! A couple of months ago I went on a guided tour of the Ghetto in Venice. It was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete