Sunday, January 11, 2015

Into the blue two!



It's a little hard to describe how beautiful Penguin Island is, if you check out the one minute video here you will get an idea and hopefully my photos will add to the experience. Only 45 minutes south of the city, so that makes it about an hour trip for me, followed by a five minute ferry ride out to the island and you are surrounded by the pristine blue waters of the Indian Ocean, a bird watchers paradise! A nesting and roosting site for over 50 species of birds and the largest breeding colony of Pelicans in WA, some of these babies would have been born in late October, so just a few months old, sadly some didn't make it.

 
The walkway down to the ferry ..


Amongst others there is a huge colony of Bridled Terns on the island, resulting in a lot of poopage :)


Many families spend the day out here picnicking, swimming, snorkeling and exploring.. you have to bring your own food, no shops or cafes to mar the unspoilt beaches and cliffs thank goodness..


Last ferry back to the mainland leaves at 4pm, no one on the island overnight and from June until September the island is closed for winter nesting. How are you enjoying the trip so far? Show you the star attraction tomorrow and some of the different ways you can take to return to the mainland if you don't fancy the ferry! As I'm typing this there is a huge fire burning just five minutes away in the bushlands of Hepburn Heights where I take the photos of the kangaroos, it's under control but I am going to be so fed up if I find out tomorrow that it was deliberately lit, you really have to wonder what the heck these days oui! Had a few computer problems yesterday, technology and I are not compatible bedfellows :) Happy Sunday, take care and stay safe..




26 comments:

  1. I was going to say probably no point in watching your step. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a beautiful spot, and the fact that it gets closed down entirely for a few months is good for the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful place indeed and I do think it's terrific that they close it for the winter!! So great for the birds!! Wonderful captures as always, Grace!! Hope your weekend is going well! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! I truly long to frolick on the beach too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic place ! so wild and serene at same time , a great place to spend some holidays ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still not jealous,
    but these are real tears.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a paradise...reminds me a lot of southwest Florida (except for the rocky shoreline!) Love the white pelicans, too. We have some here but most of ours are brown. 30 years ago they were about extinct because of DDT, but they've made a great comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bellissimo! These shots are all beautiful, but even more so to me, since the weather's so nasty here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. geweldig wat ziet het er goed uit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the real paradise!! Arianna

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful place that must be to visit, Grace! So many birds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guano everywhere. I hadn't heard of the island. It must be a very popular place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoying your pictures as the -5 degrees keep on dropping. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice looking place. Thanks for the photos.
    I do hope the fire was not arson. As a former firefighter I know the experience of accidential and natural caused wild fires all too well and as to arson wild or structural--I'll keep my tiraide to myself. We finally have some winter here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grace, I loved seeing all of those pelicans, especially the juveniles. It looks like a fine place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The many blues of the water are mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. To me Penguin Island is paradise so close to Perth! I love going there whenever I get overseas visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a real birds paradise, so nice to have it so close by. Great photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I like that. We actually have (or maybe had) an island off of the Texas coast that you could take a very small ferry ride to. Again no shops or cafes. You took everything with you. You could return every hour on the hour...or raise the flag on the dock if you had a problem. I always loved the solitude....although we didn't have that many birds to watch. Janey

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope the island stays unspoiled - A perfect place to watch birds.

    I hope the fire is indeed under control!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful images of a beautiful land! We are blessed with a wonderful world to enjoy. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  22. These photos are spectacular. What a gorgeous place to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it! A penguin conflab. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the trip, I haven't been there for ages. Bush fires not good - as you say stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. An amazing beach! A wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete