Sunday, January 25, 2015

The biggest birthday cake.. happy birthday Tricia!



Aimee and I went to a special birthday party yesterday.. at the zoo! It was Tricia's 58th birthday. Tricia the elephant arrived at our zoo in 1963 and immediately won the hearts of all visitors to the zoo.. now matriarch, she celebrated with a jumbo sized multi-tiered cake full of elephant treats that required a mini-loader to lift the main section onto the lovingly decorated cake stand. Below the keepers and docents putting the finishing touches to the cake before the birthday girl arrives :)


Looking very pleased with themselves and rightly so, the docents who created Tricia's cake..


Tricia arrived with 25 year old Permai (Pretty) to share the fun.. they both waited so patiently while Tricia's adoring fans sang happy birthday and of course they had mind their manners and say a big merci beaucoup to the docents..


Then it was all on with Permai making the first inroads into the cake...


Eventually Tricia put a protective trunk around the cake as if to say 'that's enough young lady' :)


Happy birthday Tricia and many, many more! 


Below.. this is what was left of the cake when Tricia ambled off.. but Permai returned later to demolish the pinyata and Aimee was lucky enough to catch it.. me, I missed it :) You can see it on  Daily Detail
tomorrow. Hope you're having a happy and safe weekend, take care...


38 comments:

  1. Oh, how FUN!!! I love it!! Thanks for sharing the fun!! I am enjoying Aimees blog so much, glad she's followed in your footsteps, Grace!! Hope you both -- and the elephants are enjoying a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a lot of fun to watch! What magnificent animals they both are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That went quick. But I guess when you have an elephant's appetite. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a riot! Who would think of providing a birthday party with cake for an elephant. Not that they aren't deserving of it, I've just never heard of such a thing before. Love it, though, as did the elephants, obviously! I understand these creatures are highly intelligent and very loving and can be quite emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These beautiful photos made my morning! How wonderful that you could witness it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful, Grace! I have a big smile after seeing these pics. ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is what I call a special birthday! I may be the same age -- glad I'm not quite the same size.

    ReplyDelete
  8. C'est magnifique cette fête d'anniversaire et les photos sont belles :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely series of photos! What a nice birthday cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAPpY BirThdAy !!
    What a unique event!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how lovely ! Happy Birthday ! What a fabulous cake !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha they are so adorable! Great zoo journal Grace! You made my day! :))))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so proud of our zoo, it is such a happy place with the animals being so well looked after. Tricia has seen so many changes over the years, all for the better. She is such a legend. Happy birthday Tricia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so fun! I've never seen and elephant birthday cake before and I love it. Great photos of the event too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful birthday cake and a lovely party for 2 elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such a creative cake for an elephant. Clearly Tricia appreciated all the attention, but especially the cake. Great candy colours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just now learning how to do this on my iPhone! Slower! At least
    for me. I enjoyed all the photos, elephants r my favorite animals!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sure is one jumbo sized celebration Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They will be hard pressed to top that for her 60th. Oh, I just had a scary thought. She was born in 1957, wasn't she. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun idea to have them a birthday cake. Loved to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea to give the elephant a birthday cake. Knowing elephants she will remember it for the rest of her live but perhaps a bit grumpy if she not get it every year now. So Zoo be warned.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Elephants sure are amazing and intelligent creatures! Wonderful pics, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a huge birthday cake! Love the elephant party Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Preparing a cake for a elephant or two? I wouldn't know where to start. What was in it?

    ReplyDelete
  25. So...the St. Saint Louis Zoo isn't the only zoo that throws a birthday party for its star elephant?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! That is a super way to celebrate. I love that they came up with the idea of "elephant" cake. I am sure it was appreciated. Elephants are very intelligent and emotional animals.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my goodness, what a fabulous moment to share. Aren't they happy elephants! WooHoo, and Happy Birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think I can almost see a smile on Permai's face in one of those photos! This is just so adorable. I have always loved elephants!

    ReplyDelete
  29. How Great! Our two Honolulu zoo elephants approve!



    ReplyDelete
  30. A lovely story, she does look very pleased with her birthday cake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just finished telling Aimee that hers was the only blog on which I had seen an elephant birthday party today, and now here is the second! A very cool event.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Really the biggest birthday cake.. Happy Birthday Tricia!
    And thanks for sharing these awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete