Monday, January 12, 2015

Into the blue three et fini..



Penguin Island is home to the largest colony of little penguins in WA. They're incredibly shy little creatures and almost impossible to spot as they spend most of the day feeding in the waters of Shoalwater Island Marine Park that surround the island and don't return until after dark. I was lucky enough to spot the little cutie above hiding in a cave on the beach, his secret was safe with me :) You can visit the Discovery Centre on the island to learn more and watch the rangers feed the penguins, they are pretty cute ducking and diving in the water to catch the fish.


Here we are heading home the usual way, the same way we came.. in a boat, but if you are feeling a little more adventurous... 


.... when the tide is low, as seen below, some choose to walk across the sandbar to the mainland. Not encouraged, when the tide rises and the winds are high it can be très dangereux for weak swimmers and there have been some drownings over the years...


Or you might choose to row a canoe across.. personally I'll stick to the boat and take pictures of people walking, swimming and rowing the distance :) The next time we go I'm thinking of booking a swim with the dolphins trip, check out their Facebook page here, how super cool fun does that look! What happened to the weekend, I blinked and it was ziiiiip gone! If it's still Sunday pour vous, enjoy! Happy Monday, take care and stay safe..


35 comments:

  1. All such precious photos, the first one I want to say, Are you sleeping, are you sleeping little one? Too cute. The water is so blue, and quite inviting, but I'll enjoy it for now from here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never managed to see a little penguin in the wild, just in the Discovery centre, they are so cute.
    I wouldn't risk a walk across, I still remember a couple of people drowned while crossing a few years ago, I rather be safe in a boat!
    Great photos Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really are cute! I can see the risks in that water walking across the sandbar. They have warnings here about returning to high ground during tidal shifts on the Bay of Fundy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I thought it was Penguin Island in that post of yours, too, Grace :-)
    Our first wedding pressie, from Sami, btw!
    They sure are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are going to swim with the dolphins? I thought you were like a cat when it comes to water. Looks like a nice trip out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, what stunning photos. It makes me want to go there and visit the penguins and take in the gorgeous blue water. I'm with you on the boat ride. Even though that does look refreshing, I would feel lots better in the safely of the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would be fun to see you swimming with the dolphins. Ask the redhead to film it!

    Oh, and great snaps of the penguins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such cute little buggers and what great captures, Grace!! Beautiful water!! Looks like such a great place to spend time!! Hope your new week is off to a great start!! Enjoy! Camera in hand, of course!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made my day with these lovely pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd walk on the sandbar. I'd probably fall into the water and drown, but I'd still do it.

    Love the little penguins!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our secrets are safe with you too. I love that. Such sweet shots. Monday already? Have a super week, our dear Ami


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. wat ziet dat er heel leuk uit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the little penguin faces peeking out from their cave. You were so lucky to see them by day. And the water views are so stunning. Such an intense and radiant blue.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd be in the boat with you, Grace! Love the penguins!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a very wonderful place. Go for the swim Grace, you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. aaahh those penguins are so cute and your photos are stunning, beautiful, brilliant blues. I would go by boat too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those little penguins are pretty cute.

    On the right day, it would be fun to try walking along the sand bar, but I might want to have a boat trailing behind.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to visit Penguin Island. The birds are delightful as is everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those blue waters are stunning !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those animals are so much fun to watch; the water looks so refreshing, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those little guys are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Semi-tropical penguins? A new idea to me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Penguins seem to be such jolly little souls Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  24. They are soooooooo cute:)
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks wonderful. Not just the penguins - though no doubt they are cute - but those lovely warm-looking waters; it's a grey, cold, day in England!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I wouldn't make that walk! The boat is much more my option! Beautiful pictures of the paradise island.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great shots Mamma - You got some fab ones in the penguin show! Cute little funny things :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like the birds are giving her full attention. There must be food involved. haha

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very good sighting of the Little Penguin. I LOVE it when I make a special find like that! Yep, the boat ride sounds way safer to me.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The second shot shows how small those little penguins are, so cute !
    I love your blue blue water, Grace !

    ReplyDelete
  31. How cure are these penguins! I like the water shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. it's so cold here (9F) and your water looks so warm. the penguins are gorgeous and sweet and smart to be shy.

    ReplyDelete