Friday, March 20, 2015

Sculpture by the Sea 2015.. the storm.



An outdoor event like this is always a temptation for the weather gods to have a little bit of fun, as they did last week when we felt the effects here in Perth of a cyclone further up the coast. Although none of the sculptures were damaged in the storm the pieces closest to the water had to be moved a fair bit higher read about it here. I was so surprised when I saw the piece above which is high up on the beach close to the tearooms, only feet away from where the sand has been washed away, incroyable! It did strike me as a little ironic that the work by Ben Juniper (WA) is titled 'event horizon' ..more like moving horizon!


The work above would also have had to be moved as were the red flamingos. I feel the titles of some of the works were provoking a challenge :) this piece perfectly titled 'way of the wind' by Yuko Takahashi (WA) was a favourite. If you pull it in close you'll see that the whirls are made up of many recycled aluminum cans attached to stainless steel pipes, so much work, so clever and so perfect for a windy situation. Below, 'a creature of many guises and deceptive simplicity' the 'sea anemone' by Rebecca Rose (NZ) would have felt right at home so close to the water, or maybe in the water.. still hoping to get back to Cottesloe to take those sunset shots. Happy Friday, take care and stay safe...




30 comments:

  1. "Moving horizon". Ha! Good one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes!! "Moving Horizon" a great one indeed!! Terrific captures as always, Grace! They're the next best things to being there myself!! Glad there was no major damage by the cyclone! Having grown up in Texas, I saw all of those I would ever want to see!! Hope you have a beautiful weekend!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't decide which one I like best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how interactive all of these are. I think you came up with a perfect name for that first one. Of these three, I think I like the whirls the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd have to crawl into the anemone too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The third is my favorite, I like the contrast of the red to the goldened sand and the blue sea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In am sure that you had some nervous artist with storm near. I rather like that whirly thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way of the wind is great, Grace! Nature can be stubborn sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the red
    moms can looh at the children playing above

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember the red one in Sydney too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last one stands out the best for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nature always has a way of getting into the middle of things, but happy all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Once again, some intriguing pieces. Love the sense of illusion in "way of the wind".

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a pitty that some of the sculptures had to be removed. Scary such a storm that washes away half of the beach. Glad you had warnings and the the sculptures could be saved.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the one in the second photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. After unusual winds, we are hoping that a good bit of Waikiki's sand will return soon.


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always fun with a change in the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The days after a storm is always unique. You live in a wonderful place.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. the red one looks fun! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So much imagination, great sculptures Grace. We just arrived a few hours ago, hoping to be able to still go to Cottesloe to visit the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful and so creative! Tropical weather can be a little scary at times. I always dread hurricane season here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The second and third are my favorites. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful that youngsters can crawl all over the anemone!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would spend hours around these...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can see why 'way of the wind' would be a favourite. If I were there I'd want to get in very close for a good look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. J'ai vu toutes tes photos sur les sculpture de mer, j'aime beaucoup ce concept. Il y en certaines qui sont vraiment belles. Bravo pour ce reportage.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really liked this part of the article, with a nice and interesting topics have helped a lot of people who do not challenge things people should know. you need more publicize this so many people who know about it are rare for people to know this.success for you !!!

    ReplyDelete