Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Sculpture by the Sea 2015.. IV et fini.. (maybe)



I enjoyed this piece by Virginia King (NZ).. titled 'turning stones' the artist's inspiration 'is the delicate balance between sustainability and progress and Earth's vulnerable eco-systems' . It was pretty difficult to get a shot without someone's head popping through the middle :) Tim Macfarlane Reid (WA) below, was inspired by a quote from R.Tagore.. titled 'one door opens' .. 'and because I love this life, I shall love death as well'. I like both the quote and the curves!


A Daily Details moment below? 'for the love of sculpture' an interactive sculpture by Clare Davenhall (WA), many of the sculptures on the beach were interactive, which is just as well because there was a lot of interaction going on :) 


I read somewhere that a clever piece of art should make you think, if you don't have to think it's more likely craft not art.. there was much pondering over this piece below titled 'the kiss' by Graham Hay (WA).. the artist 'considers our first 'smart' devices 3,500 years ago. What were they made from and used for'.. if you pull it in you will see it is both complicated and smart...


Couldn't possibly go past this quintessential, or not, Australian piece by Tim Burns (WA) titled 'victory or revenge'.. 'the iconic land cruiser hit a roo and crashed through the tree. Now the trees take over'.. the Beagle in front looks kind of unimpressed :)


I'm going to end this series with a controversial piece by David Cerny (Czech Republic) an artist known for his provocative sculptures, most notably his giant babies climbing the Zizkov television tower. I remember the three babies here last year on Bondi Beach in Sculpture by the Sea Sydney, wasn't sure about it then and the jury's still out.. there's one thing for certain it sure had people talking which means it definitely wasn't craft :) If I get back before the event ends this weekend, I might try and catch a few specific sunset shots for you. Back to what else is going on around Perth tomorrow. Happy Wednesday, take care and stay safe...




 

34 comments:

  1. Yes, I am not sure about those babies, Grace. I saw them on Aimee's post the other day and I still haven't decided. I really like the piece in the 1st shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these post of sculpture by the beach. Thank you Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice series of photos of these sculptures

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of creative and really funny 'things'...

    ReplyDelete
  5. More art to ponder. I like the first one but, I have to admit it does remind me of a giant hub cap. The babies I'm not so sure about. I followed your link and I can see why he would be very controversial. His sculptures go out of their way to provoke thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last one is frightening to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fini?! Non, Grace, non, pas fait ca! ;-)
    Great shots with great background-info, do not stop this. please!
    What is it with the pink bunnies you find all around in Perth? You need to reveal that please, too, I had no clue....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the babies and the car is rather cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very notable the last sculptures you show...Arianna

    ReplyDelete
  10. The scale of these things compared to people, particularly the baby sculptures, really is remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the top one is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some very imaginative stuff, wonderful what people come up with...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Comme dans toutes exposition collective... il y a à boire et à manger !

    ReplyDelete
  14. That first on is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope to see all this tomorrow! Did you get to see the Inside Sculptures & the ones at Bathers Beach?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The crawling baby creeped me out but I enjoyed the others. Too cool having the beach as a venue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this FRESH art!



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  18. That quote you read about art should make us think, makes a lot of sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The babies freak me out. :P I do like the metallic ones.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These sculptures are so intriguing. The babies somehow remind me of the weird sci fi stories in "Minority Report" by Phillip K. Dick. But love the giant metal art - like a sieve of ecosystems...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Keep them coming! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so lucky to have this "exhibit" every year. Even if not every piece suits your personal taste, it is interesting to see what's being done these days. And you have to appreciate the work that the artist does to create these sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You may go on showing us the sculptures, I love to see them all. They are so special, those little baby's are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. hmmmm i'm not sure about those babies either!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Der Wendestein und das Auto mit den Bäumen sind klasse aber jeder mag etwas anderes.
    Schöne Bilder.

    Gruß
    Noke

    ReplyDelete
  26. oooh don't like the babies, they're scary. Like the first two and love the car!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like the sculpture in the first shot and the old car, or what remains of it.
    The giant babies are very impressive...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am always amazed by this exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Some funny sculptures here.An a redhead, that is a good combination.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The first "shield" sculpture for me! It's very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well, you are correct that those babies do make you think.

    ReplyDelete
  32. 5th shot I like.
    Crush a car, and green fire begins.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really liked this part of the article, with a nice and interesting topics have helped a lot of people who do not challenge things people should know. you need more publicize this so many people who know about it are rare for people to know this. success for you !!!

    ReplyDelete