Monday, March 9, 2015

Sculpture by the Sea 2015... l



We went to see the 11th annual Sculpture by the Sea on Cottesloe Beach really early yesterday morning so that a) we could find a car park b) have breakfast before heading onto the beach but mostly because I wanted to catch that fantastic fresh early morning light.. shooting in the bright midday glare is too tricky! If you'd like to walk along with me over the next few days I'll start at the beginning and show you my favourites this year.. keep your eye open for Aimee and her friend Amy :) The work below by Ken Unsworth (NSW) called 'my home is your home', bridging the gap between cultures.. I'm guessing on that one!
 

... and looking back 'lucky country' below by Norton Flavel (WA) 'referencing the Australian psyche , of the tension between positives and negatives and what we choose to see'.


A familiar face looking out from 'house of mirrors'  by NEON (Vic) 'redefining the architecture of the common beach hut, camouflaged into it's surroundings with an interior that accentuates key views of the outside world'..


Below 'wanderers conventus' by Brad Jackson (WA) a 'traveling family group of metal spheres, they pass by in silence, their origin, destination and intentions remain unknown'!


 I'm sure you'll recognize the delightful work of one of my favourite artists Ayad Alqaragholli, you've seen his work on the blog many times before just recently here..  below 'hearts in paradise', representing love and happiness, whilst the pomegranate they hold represents Paradise, and the chair signifies the Australian homeland'..  you can see by the interaction with young visitors, including Aimee and Amy :) that Ayad's whimsical creations make everyone happy!


 One more piece for today.. 'ocean lace' below by Britt Mikkelsen (WA) the artist 'recalls beach combing at an age when the little things mattered. Likewise this tiny fragment found at South Cottesloe has been enlarged 700 times revealing it's fragile beauty'.. I like the lacy pattern it made on the beach very much.


... and of course there's always someone who thinks the whole thing is like 'whatever' :) Hope you've enjoyed. It's been a hectic weekend and over 500 photos to edit, will catch up today. Happy Monday, take care and stay safe...p.s. yes, the sea really was that blue!





35 comments:

  1. Oh, these are terrific! What fun you guys in Perth do have!! So much beauty and creativity -- not to mention those blue, blue skies!! Beautiful!! I was going to ask if that last shot was one more sculpture -- in clothes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i like the 1st one best but they are all fabulous, Grace! And what a setting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work. I've never seen anything like those on a beach in the USA. I look forward to seeing the next 500.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The light was good, the sky was good, the sea was very good, shame about the driftwood on the beach mind....

    ReplyDelete
  5. prachtig die kunstwerken op het strand heel mooi idee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely sculptures (and what a beach !)
    We don't have any like these beach sculptures, so that's why I love your images a lot.
    You took really many photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, these are fun, Grace! What a beautiful day to be out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you say Grace, early morning light is beautiful, wonderful sculptures, I like the ball and chain, very clever

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, you sure have it all! It's clear to see how this is a popular beach. Wow, just absolutely incredible stuff. I know some children that would go bananas there! Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great. I love public space art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun annual event. Really like "hearts in Paradise."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love 'ocean lace' & as Sylvia says the lady with matching dress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way cool. I usually forget that your beaches, like California's, have beautiful light in the morning and then fab sunsets. Well, California has more air pollution (and a squillion more people than WA), which is good for sunset colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have shown this show in past years. I always marvel at Perth's appreciation for public art. I would like to see similar sculpture shows over here. (Hi, Aimee and Amy.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful captures of wonderful work and Loved your commentary too!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like this time of your year, I like to discover those sculptures, always interesting , fun, unusual !

    ReplyDelete
  17. That must be a fun exhibition to visit. I like the the 'hearts in paradise' and 'ocean lace' best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha, fantastic, Grace ! I love especially the idea with the strange "birds" !

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always like this festival so much, love all the beautiful sculptures on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are great. I always enjoy this event. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous photos. You picked the right time of day to photograph them. There are some wonderful pieces in this series of photos. Such amazing imagination possessed by these artists.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would be drawn to the lobsta trap sculpture. Hey, I'm a Mainer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So funny and absolutely creative, but I still have problems to call most of these works sculptures...

    ReplyDelete
  24. You seems very active with art in you city ! Good.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Funny ! I would be glad to go there and speak about these creations with my children for example !

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the spheres. I can't wait for your selfie. I can't believe you have 500 photos to edit. What do you do with them all (says the person who took 85 photos in 1 1/2 hours yesterday!!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like those wire crates.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely creations. I'm liking the wanderers.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think it's great that you have taken us there again, Grace! I hope some, nay MANY of the 500 photos you have to edit are duplicates. :))

    ReplyDelete
  30. The sculptures are great but I do love that last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Brilliant exhibition, very talented artists. The Hearts in Paradise are my favourites ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Brilliant exhibition, very talented artists. The Hearts in Paradise are my favourites ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. The light is amazing, Grace!
    But, awww, was a tad early for having the flight "in the neck"....

    ReplyDelete