Thursday, March 12, 2015

Sculpture by the Sea 2015.. III



Sculpture by the Sea is fortunate to attract WA, Interstate and International artists.. artists such as Chen Wenling, one of China's leading contemporary sculptors. Chen's 'harbour' in painted bronze above is 'a celebratory call to embrace the inner child in every viewer', how can you not smile when you see that cheeky face :) and below Wang Shugang's (China) 'man on ball' which is actually five men in various poses squatting on balls that 'could roll away and the men run the risk of falling off the world, questioning ideas about the individual and the collective'.. 


'The ascetic' below by Naidee Changmoh (Thailand) in painted bronze is a delight don't you think! 'Inspired by the purity and happiness of children and based on cartoon forms to express positive thinking'..  j'adore! I was very happy to actually have a child right there in the shot :)


... and look who we have here! You might have spotted him up ahead on the pier in previous shots. I was très happy to see le huge pink bunny that WA artist Stormie Mills created for the Fringe festival in February.. this work 'is founded in the bunnyman character, the simplicity of fun and light that can interrupt someone's day and make it a little better', you have seen le grand lapin rose before here and here. As I said before, I hope he stays around town for a while to surprise and delight city-goers! What do you think.. are you happy to see more from this event? Let me know! Meanwhile have a safe Thursday, take care... p.s. having a home day all to myself, big catch up after watched recorded 'Downton Abbey', simple pleasures :)


35 comments:

  1. I have never seen anything so beautiful as you have and are showing.

    Delightful and so colorful.

    Thank you for sharing. Lucky you to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome!! I've never seen anything quite like them and I have enjoyed them SO much!! And thank you so much for sharing them with us as well, Grace!! What a fun time for all of you in and around Perth! Wish I could be there!! Hope your week is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I particularly like the guys on the balls, Grace, and yes I had noticed pink bunny in other shots. I'd love to see more pics if you have them! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The red little man is absolutely cool! I will always enjoy your photos of this event. A great series indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I just adore his bright and cheery laughing face. Such incredible views, and these statues are just splendid. Please do keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your 2 first shots are amazing ! This red si so flashy !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pink bunny is in a good people watching position.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love , love , love , those funny and colorful pieces of art !

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's just the shade of red that I went when I visited Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the whimsy, Grace! I love the way art there goes to where the people are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really enjoying this series, Grace! More, please!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this event so keep the photos coming! I think my favorite today is the "man on ball". Downton Abbey, huh? That is a guilty pleasure. I've watched the last episode so I'll be missing it for the next 9 months.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great set of figures Grace, I think the painted bronze is the winner though...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even the water is prettier in Australia than here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The painted bronze piece is my favorite in this series. I love that face!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is striking how many of them have a childish character. Is that a current style? Or is Australia more child-focused? Or is it just a coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun event. Looks like all Asian sculpture is monochrome these days. That first one could be Chinese red lacquer or just devilish. One thing they have in common, though, is that they are easy. No challenges for the viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are just fabulous. Keep 'em coming if ya got 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That Chen Wenling is one very talented sculptor Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you always have so much fun around art and culture in your city.
    Someone smart and creative must be behind this. (Here it is often down to money.... and politics.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well Grace, you overwhelm us with wonderful sculptures, in this series I like especially the bronze child (hemm.... maybe chocolate child ?) Also the 'man on ball' is interesting and very beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've said it before, and will say it again. I love that you take us to this event! I also enjoy the crowd shots! Janey

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ces sculptures sont toutes de très belles pièces. C'est aussi une excellente idée de sortir l'art des musées et de mettre ainsi ces sculptures contemporaines dans des lieux de loisir où les gens qui n'ont pas l'habitude d'aller au musée, peuvent les voir en toute liberté. Merci pour tes photos. Elles sont excellentes.
    Amitiés.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are marvellous Grace, witty and artistic

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah there it is! The pink pair of ears!!!! Is it just me or does that red smiling sculpture look a bit underfed?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous, sculptured figures. I don't think i have ever seen a sculpture with a cheeky smile like the first red figure.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sculptures made smile to my face, love these.

    ReplyDelete