Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Everything old is new again.. and again.



It has been a while since mon ami français Marie and I have had a rummage around the antique shops on James Street, aka the antique strip, in Guildford, we amended that situation before lunch on Monday. Although still in my minimalist period :) the lure of paraphernalia from times past is always present. The two rather splendid vases bottom row below held my attention for a dangerously long period of time before I snapped out of it.. the turkey plate made me smile, I'm pretty sure I had one at some point although I have never cooked a turkey in my life :) Not sure why but old typewriters hold a fascination also. I'm pretty sure that there would be something to tickle everyone's fancy in the shops along the strip. We are off into the country today for the first time since the virus, looking forward to it. Happy Wednesday, take care and stay safe..



22 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to be on that store! Though i would only look carefully because I have not much space left on my room to store such treasures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old sewing machine looks like my grandmother’s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great goodies in that store. My mother used to have a sewing machine like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and old things come back into style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore such places to. And your company: "the lure of paraphernalia from times past is always present" indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love antique shops, we used to have a fabulous one in our local town sadly it closed down a couple of years back. We bought our old oak dining room table from it. Keep safe and take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps old typewriters are interesting because we used to use them, but in retrospect, they were hard work. Pleased to hear your resisted buying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's got to be a good place; they sell typewriters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The old typewriter and the old sewing machine would tickle my fancy, but so would that china cabinet in the bottom corner :)
    Glad you were able to resist Grace, but I know it's no easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm terrible in antique shops, I always seem to leave with something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Krimskrams, hm, Grace ;-)
    Who says German is more complicated than English, "paraphernalia", what a word!
    Have fun on your road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Antiques is my favorite. (although I don't buy them...)
    And I am already like an 'antique'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes we always want more and more....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, treasure chambers like that are always very dangerous places. Before you know it, your house will look the same. Not that that's bad, but it's a little too much of a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely tour of the antique shop. Old typewriters, yes, remember them well. Gave my last one to my mother-in-law who went blind, but could still touch type so she could write letters to a list of correspondents. She could never figure out computers. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom had a turkey platter similar to that and she used it every Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely store. I am hoping to unearth my old typewriter once I gets into the dark depths of my mountain house (I know it is there somewhere). I reckon it will make a nice exhibit in my writing studio at Kandos.

    ReplyDelete