Friday, June 5, 2020

A modern Chimera



'A modern Chimera is a creature with the head of a lion, the body of a goat and the tail of a snake that has come to symbolise an unreal creature of the imagination, a hybrid made up of many parts'..

Does that remind you of anyone you know :) In Fremantle yesterday to take pics of two murals only to find one had disappeared when the building it was on was demolished and the other had been built out.. not to worry I found a few more unexpected works of art. I also found, not that it could possibly be missed the huge sculpture here by super talented WA artist Susan Flavell, her work spans many styles, from the robust sculpture here to more delicate works here. Someone described the sculpture as 'cute' not sure I would agree with that although it does have rather a sad look in it's eyes.. all four of them :) Happy Friday, take care and stay safe..


26 comments:

  1. Yes, a strange sculpture, rather "bizarre"

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I'm all in favorite of imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat! I like the extra eyes. I wonder if there are any on the back of its head. My mom had some there. Every time my sister and I got in trouble in the car she told us so. hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting, but truly odd sculpture. Good find, and thank you for identifying all the animal parts involved. I never would have thought Lion or goat. But then what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Grace,
    What a nice statue. Very special to see so many animals in this artwork.
    Funny with the four eyes. A nice figure to photograph.

    Greetings, Marco

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very odd! I thought you had an animal made out of odd parts in Australia anyway - the Duck-Billed Platypus, nobody could dream that up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive sculpture! Creative imagination at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the style of construction she used!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not cute but interesting for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one mixed up fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, you missed recording some mural history. It's quite a brute of a statue and I like the way it is rusting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another reason to self-quarantine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmmmm never seen one of those before. Have a good, peaceful and safe weekend. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. If it had yellow skin... Nope, I won´t say that, Grace, it´s a weird one, but then, art is ... art!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A real fabulous animal with a little too many eyes for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have some interesting stuff overthere!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw that statue when I went to Fremantle with the family in December and I thought it was rather scary.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I may be the strange one because I find him super cute! (except for the extra pair of eyes)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The sad eyes were the first thing I thought, how sad. Then you mentioned four of them so I took a better look. So sad looking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It reminds me of the Chinese terracotta warriors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it's a happy face! Glad to meet you kind creature!

    ReplyDelete