Saturday, June 20, 2020

Morning tea in New Norcia..


It all began back in 1846 with the arrival of two Benedictines in WA, Dom Rosendo Salvado and Dom Jose Benito Serra. Within a year the foundation stone for the mission at New Norcia was laid. New Norcia is Australia's only monastic town with a fascinating history that I won't attempt to condense here but if you are interested the Story of New Norcia here is a five minute easy read. The view below encompasses to the left..


St Gertrude's College for Girls, oh my they don't look happy.. actually they look a lot like I did when I had school photos taken :)


 In the centre below what is now the Monastery guesthouse..


 ... and to the right Saint Ildephonsus College. Both buildings now used for accommodation and events..


 Below, the New Norcia Cemetery with burials dating back to 1860.. including 130 Benedictine monks and sisters.. and the Abbey Church..


Below the portraits of 70 of the monks that were there in 1870, my goodness they look glum.. but if you embiggen the daily timetable you will see why.. it certainly was an austere, exacting life they had chosen for themselves. New Norcia is well known and respected for it's breads, olive oil and wines all produced in the monastery.. of course we had to bring home samples of all three 😉 Off to Bindoon next but not before doubling back to Gingin for a few reflection shots. Happy Saturday, take care and stay safe.. P.s. New Norcia is definitely worth a re visit when the church, museum and art gallery are open.

 



19 comments:

  1. ...a beautiful spot with a rich history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Times have certainly changed in the Church!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy the take home items too. The flavour of a place...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting place to visit. It reminds me of the monastery I visited a few years ago. Beautiful architecture and interesting history. I'm glad you sampled (and bought) the wares.
    I meant to tell you that I watched an interesting show two nights ago about the history of the earth and how much evidence of how the planet developed can be found in places scattered around Western Australia. It was fascinating. I especially enjoyed the area called Shark's Bay. Interesting geology there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very interesting post with of course for Australia very historic. After history here Australia is so young 😊 Even our own house is over two hundred years old. As you say no wonder the monks looked so glum, with barely 6 hours sleep and working all day they must have been exhausted. Have a great weekend and take care. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place with lots of interesting history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No wonder they were grumpy. They only got to sleep 6:45 hours a night, and only bread and tea for dinner. Not exactly a fulfilling life, but your photos are quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how beautiful these shots you shared dear Grace! I do agree about the ladies on the photo, they do not look happy at all (A little scary to stare at them honestly) but even my grandma's family photos has such expressions on their faces during the time. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a photographic book published in the 1980s called A Day in the Life of Australia, and within there is a wonderful sunrise photo taken at New Norcia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good the building is still well looked after, I remember school photos, I think everyone hated them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you very much for all these historical links and this wonderful report. This is a very nice trip to a place blessed by the gods. I have noticed that religious communities always settled in wonderful landscapes, no doubt to compensate for the rigours of their confinement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sure is an interesting place. It is quite remote too. I remember visiting it on a tour in WA.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Strange thought, Grace, that they "simply" come to Australia and "simply" leave for home again. Back then!
    They must´ve been really, really unhappy to take the journey again.
    :-) I always look like that when someone takes a pic of me...
    They got up at 02:45 am?! Boy, what a scedule, what food, that can´t be healthy. Why would anyone choose a life like that...
    I feel like opening a bottle of beer! And I could die for a pie...

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful and nostalgic place.
    That must be very impressive to visit. Nice shots Grace!!

    Greetings, Marco

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been quite a few years since we travelled to Gingin or New Norcia. It's a beautiful area Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I visited this town during a rare trip to WA some years ago. I found it fascinating. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are great, quite the stunning grounds and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Noooo... the girls don't look happy at all. But your pictures are wonderful to see. I'm an in-door shooter (most days some days I go out), so it's nice to see your outdoor shots. Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete