Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Stepping down into the past..



Walking along the Swan River in East Perth a few days ago I noticed along the way the remains of an old jetty or two and a series of old stone steps, some now unusable, leading down to the banks of the river. Of course my romantic imagination went into overdrive and I pictured ladies and gentlemen in their 1920's bathers stepping down to cool off in the river. There may be alternative reasons why the steps and stone retaining walls are there.. stopping erosion for one, also the old East Perth Power Station is a stones throw away, built there specifically because of the proximity to the river. Even so, they would make the perfect spot to enter the river for a swim and are tres photogenic.. as you can see above, I wasn't the only one who thought so :) Happy Wednesday, take care and stay safe..


24 comments:

  1. These remind me of a couple of spots here along riverbanks where steps are no longer in real use. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just picture those 1920's people walking down those steps and into the water. I like that image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting looking place. Old things like that are always nice to find and imagine what they could say should they be able to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The people of my island's past are my companions too, mon ami!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to think it was for bathers too, Grace! Lots of atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Schöne Bilder von der alten Anlegestelle am Fluss.

    Noke

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great mental image. The photo images are terrific, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can picture those bathers too, Grace. Such a pretty area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting old riverbank constructions. You paint a clear picture of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely spot and I can imagine myself there, enjoying it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful old stone work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...an imagination is a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Grace, can you believe we´ll have another - hopefully golden - 20´s so soon? I am glad, though, we could jump in there in much easier clothes!
    So warm here again today I could need such a spot, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks good but the changes are that those steps were made by convicts from 1850 on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great place and beautiful photo's !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Grace,
    A nice place along the river. The water looks very blue and looks inviting to go swimming.

    Best regards,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the angular composition of these photos, and the color of the water!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you swim? Do people ever swim there? I'd love to stroll along that river bank, looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your descriptions of them way back when painted a lovely picture! It must have been such a desirable place for them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Quel merveilleux paysage et comme il s'en dégage une grande douceur...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am fascinated by steps to "nowhere" and tell stories in my head of the people that used to use them.

    ReplyDelete