Saturday, June 22, 2019

The ever evolving Banksia..



Whenever we walk in the bush, especially at this time of the year, I am fascinated by the different stages of the Banksia.. even more that each stage can all be found on the same bush/tree. Above and below an aging flower head made up of thousands of inflorescence spikes...


As the flower spikes age and dry up they fall away revealing the fruit, 'a woody follicle embedded in the axis of the inflorescence.' The older flower parts may remain for years giving the fruiting structure a hairy appearance.. you will have to pull the shot in to see said hairs. Producing much nectar the Banksia is a vital part of the food chain in the Australian bush, I often see small birds with their heads buried deep in the flowers.. not yesterday though :)


It can end up looking a little top heavy until the next big storm comes along to whisk away the last stubborn old flower spikes holding on.. and then just when you think it couldn't get anymore bizarre...


... this happens! What can I say, Australian native plants are unique :) Have a good weekend, take care and stay safe..


30 comments:

  1. ...they are so exotic, I wish that I would see more of them in Maui!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for continuing my education in Australian flora. What an interesting plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Are Right, Quite Bizarre. Great Shots Though. Enjoy Your Weekend As Well.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never seen anything like this before.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what an unusual plant and so interesting watching the various stages. Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a fab weekend Grace. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty unique plant. You captured the plant well, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing and very different plant, I liked your photographs.

    With regard to your comment and question on the low carb diabetic blog about keto. I have replied, see here

    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2019/06/fishmongers-and-nice-plate-of-buttery.html

    I am pleased you are loving keto, and also finding many of my recipe suggestions helpful.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/2019/06/fishmongers-and-nice-plate-of-buttery.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't why but the photos came to me as a metaphor for life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A bit bizarre, but interesting plant. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating.. love it. Thanks for sharing, Grace. It is unique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is difficult to photograph and convey some things we see. This is an example of how to do it well

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I thought our plants were unique. This is a really strange and fun plant. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're certainly not exaggerating on their uniqueness, Grace. And it looks as if there is a variety of species. It's very interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see I must observe the Banksia in my local Botanic gardens more closely - they truly are bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an interesting plant. Never seen one before. Thanks for showing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A strange and fun plant, Grace, never seen before !

    ReplyDelete
  17. You made my day, whay a hilarious plants you have there! I can't stop laughing by seeing all the transformations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. An amazing plant, Grace!
    Not beautiful, is it (a bit, though), but "wow"! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fascinating stages of the flower captured!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What marvellous alien shapes! When I was in Australia I collected all sorts of seed pods and bits and pieces, I still have them but no idea what they are now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Are they the ones with the orange flowers? I think we have the same ones here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't think I had ever noticed an almost bare banksia flower, but interesting to see the various stages Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Australian native plants are unique" ... Really !!! Wow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is an unusual one, Grace. Don't think I am familiar with it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The next stage is a bushfire when they open their mouths and spit out seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We used to get banksia in at the flower shop I worked at, I always liked it but have only seen it once it's cut.

    ReplyDelete