Thursday, March 11, 2021

Sculpture by the Sea 2021.. ll

 

One of my favourite artists in the Sculpture by the Sea event is Ayad Alqaragholli. His entry this year is a little different from his whimsical sculptures that we are used to seeing HERE. 'The Obelisk' 'shows two faces balancing on bookshelves created from clay then cast in bronze. Lagash, an ancient city in south Iraq is where thousands of clay tablets with Cuneiform writing are located next to Prince Gudea palace. This is the first library in human history. The Obelisk is a contemporary representation meaning love, peace and freedom'. So many wonderful details..

Below once again it is hard to resist 'framing' :) 'Tipping Point' created in stainless steel and corten steel by WA Artist Johannes Pannekoek, framing 'Structural Wave' at the end of the pier.

... then itself being framed in the voluptuous twists and turns of  'Oushi Zokei 2021 Twist Ring' created in white granite by Keizo Ushio..

Below 'Floating - Grounded Figure' made with corten steel by SA contemporary sculptor Greg Johns..

'Dream of Cyprus' by Japanese artist Savako (check the link to see more of this artist's wonderful works) looks amazing under the blue WA sky.. and to the side the graceful lines of  'As One' by WA artist Ron Gomboc..

Below 'Foci' created in stainless steel by SA artist Karl Meyer..

'Limber Bather' below created in steel, expanded polyethylene foam, hand stitched lycra with acrylic eyes by WA artist Tarryn Gill 'subverts the bathing woman trope, a tradition upheld by male artists throughout art history. This body whilst shiny and alluring resists sexualisation for its sheer scale, and its many eyes meet the viewer with power'. Have I  mentioned before how much I enjoy the artistic process..

The delicacy of the piece below created using stainless steel wire, galvanised wire, aluminium wire and galvanised mesh makes it tricky to capture. 'Tenants' by NSW/Poland artist Barbara Licha 'individuals respecting space, diversity and especially social distancing during this time of global pandemic'..

Finishing today with 'Wandoo Mantle' created with wandoo wood and steel by WA artist Tony Davis. 'Delving into the depths of antiquity where vandalised stone statues retain a strength of presence despite absence of human form under its mantle'. C'est superb. Sorry I haven't been visiting for the last few days, have a pinched nerve in my back that makes it uncomfortable to sit for long periods, big catch up today. Happy Thursday, take care and stay safe..


29 comments:

  1. Amazing art,unusual!good pictures as usual!:)ew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great works of art, perfectly photographed, Grace !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always great those statues in open space. Hope we get an exhibition like this the 15 of may in amsterdam but it depends still on covid. Thanks for showing is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see one real sculpture, Twist Ring. Ok, Art people I do like all of them, but to me there is something about sculpture being chiseled in stone (oh, that reminds me of Van Gostin's song). George Jones did it also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOPS!, Vern! I'm a bit dull-minded from my CV-19 shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...this show never disappoints!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again, a fabulous collection of sculptures. My favorite in this group is "Dream of Cyprus" which probably makes me a kid at heart. "Foci" is what I see when I get what is called a migraine aura. It starts as a little dot and gets bigger and bigger with those zig-zap lines around the edge. Thankfully, I never get the migraine, just the aura. Great images!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing!
    The summer doesn't want to leave there and here, winter tries to return ... not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dream of Cyprus is my pick out of these ones. It is so cheerful and that is what I need nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you feel excellent very soon! Your art as usual is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much to take in. It must be amazing to walk among the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dream of Cyprus is such a fun sculpture which I am sure would attract the attention of children

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Grace.
    The most meaningful is indeed the Obelisk but only when viewing the right side for the intricate details.
    Great post and photos.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is great to see this sculpture by the sea. The blue sky is a perfect back drop to see this work. Love seeing what artists produce.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the quirky Dream of Cyprus, but they are all great sculptures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. it's a great pleasure to be back ar Sculpture by the sea. I like to have news and pictures of this annual meeting

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Grace, I never knew about that first library!
    Pictures in pictures. I´m very sorry, Grace, but ask Aimee there is a The Simpsons episode on that where Homer gets stuck and Lisa starts telling him a story that has a story that has a story and in the end Mr. Burns makes Lisa smile.
    Sorry, this was too tempting 🤣

    Wow, love all the pieces!

    Sorry your nerve got nasty - hope you´re better! My back hurts but thanks to Corinna I don´t get to visit a new doc (my old one takes only private patients). Getting old, huh. But there is no other option, right!

    ReplyDelete
  19. All absolutely wonderful, you are so lucky to be able to see all these works, I am insanely envious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful artwork, what a fantastic show and it's at the beach. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am amazed how many artists you must have around Perth. Most I love though a few are a bit strange! Have a good weekend Diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the first one - that's my favourite too

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my an abundance of delightful captures, hard to pick just one favorite. I always like your creative view, like the colorful sculpture at a distance seen through another sculpture! What a blast this must have been. Thanks for sharing them all.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always enjoy seeing your Sculpture By The Sea photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice post
    really wonderfull!!!
    I hope this will better for everyone
    here i want to say that, for more information i think you should go to Instagram Bellen

    ReplyDelete
  26. If there is a problem unblocking someone on Instagram then there is nothing to worry about, you can get the help of a technician, you can contact Instagram Call and ask questions about whatever problem becomes created.


    For more information go here: Instagam Bellen

    ReplyDelete