Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Yagan Square.. Opening the Divide.



For more than one hundred years the Horseshoe Bridge above was the connection between Northbridge and the CBD. You might remember me mentioning the Perth City Link project to sink the Fremantle railway line and the Wellington Street bus station leaving the area above open for construction of Yagan Square named in recognition of one of the Noongar people’s great leader-warriors Yagan, also acknowledging the historical and cultural significance of the site. Above looking out to Wellington Street and the CBD and below looking over to Roe Street in Northbridge.


Excellent architectural view here showing Yagan Square tucked nicely into the arms of the Horseshoe Bridge. Below as you enter the square from Wellington Street the 9mt tall sculpture Wirin.
'Wirin' the Noongar word for spirit represents the eternal sacred force of creative power that connects all life of boodja (mother earth)'. Of all the projects going on around Perth at the moment, this bridging of the divide makes the most sense :) Happy Wednesday, take care and stay safe..


25 comments:

  1. The layout of the square, especially that statue, works very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that Perth is a never-ending delight. And here's another great project! I find it all quite beautiful and meaningful and I appreciate your sharing it with us. BTW, did I mention the Aussie show "Dreamland" to you. We've been watching in on Netflix; it's about a Nation Building Authority which works hard to build some national projects, but nothing ever get done amidst a maze of meetings. shortages, stupid people and general failures. It's so funny but so true - how a bureaucracy exists to serve itself..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that Corten steel building, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure looks like a good day to spend outdoor.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the sculpture - yes, it is tall.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such interesting architecture and gorgeous weather. I am envious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the look of this area very much. The architects did a good job on the design. I love the sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's so much to love in these photos. Very impressive area and that tall sculpture is absolutely beautiful. What's with the clear blue sky, I want some too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...the old is being overrun by the new!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now, that last image is what I call walking tall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had a chance to visit. I like the architecture, urban planning and sense of history. The statue, though, is a little to Star Wars-y for me, but then I don't know the cultural context.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of variety in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks interesting. I am so glad the Horseshoe Bridge was kept.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing views. Great Post and pics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All this modern architecture looks wonderful under the West Australian sun, though I can't recall having ever seen satisfying photos of such buildings beneath gloomy skies. It also always looks fantastic when lit up at night.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, my goodness, Grace.
    First time I saw the Horseshoe Bridge was in 1995. And, really. I just don´t know how it looked like back then anymore!
    But... I´m keen to see for real how it looks like now. Guess ... LOL... Elizabeth Quay was a "healer" after all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a big change, it looks complete different.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The area is looking great Grace, glad the Horseshoe bridge was kept.

    ReplyDelete
  19. An interesting area! Lots of things to catch the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the virtual tour, love to see places that we have not been to before. We have only been to Adelaide, Sydney, the Gold coast and Brisbane. Doubt if we will ever go there again, the flights are just too long!!! Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a stunning project. The more I see of Perth the more beautiful it is to me.

    ReplyDelete