Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Sculpture by the Sea encore et fini..



Sculpture by the Sea has been and gone but I have a few shots that took my fancy but didn't post so will give this annual event a last hurrah for 2018. Above 'Great Southern Noongar' by Noongar weaver and bush sculptor Janine McAullay Bott, one of three invited indigenous artists. Created using palm fronds, palm branch and kurrajong seed pod. The sculpture reflects the artist's Noongar heritage.. 'the cultural significance of the weave is a sense of remembering and my way of giving back to my mother and her people'. If you pull it in and have a look the intricate weave is incroyable! 'Below 'Swirling Surround' last seen here on Bondi Beach..


As always dogs play a big part in any outdoor activities around Perth. Here we have big, small and in-between. Bruno directly below was massive. His owner told me that Bruno was a rescue dog, saved in the nick of time from an outback farm where he was about to be shot! He was a wee bit slobbery but totally gorgeous. The dog in the last shot looks like he's been waiting long enough for his human to enjoy the culture :)


Dogs of another genre! This was one of my favourite sculptures, almost impossible to get a good shot early morning but am happy with the two below taken when we returned at sunset. 'Spirit' by English artist living in Perth April Pine. 'Suspended in movement as though paused in play. Each dog is individual in character, breed, scale and presence. The installation is whimsical yet soft, the white tones and grid composition create a phenomenological moment'. Phenomenology, yes I had to look it up :)


'Get a Haircut, Get a Job'  by Queensland artist Karl De Waal. 'Everyday catchphrases and statements .. somewhere between what we see and hear lie the decisions necessary to walk the path forward'. Nearly all familiar, it made me smile and on a warm sunny day at the beach that will do me just fine :)


There were so many more but I just can't, I'm all sculptured out :) I'll leave you with a parting shot of two confused seagulls spoilt for choice as to where to perch and view the beach in all it's strangeness! Happy Tuesday, take care and stay safe..


29 comments:

  1. Cool sculptures, but it's the live dogs that take the prize, especially Bruno!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that first sculpture, quite different and fun.
    Loved the dogs too, sculptures and real ones, glad Bruno was saved :)
    I'm off early Thursday and return on 15th, see in a couple of weeks Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sculptures, so creative. Dogs are always cool. It's great Bruno was saved, he's a beauty, they all are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly could have used these shots earlier for they are all great and most interesting. Love the sculpture with the dogs. You mentioned Bondi Beach. The other night we watched a TV show on Netflix about lifeguards on Bondi Beach. But it was never stated where Bondi Beach was. I think it was a reality show and wasn't very good, so we didn't watch the whole thing, and that's too bad. I thought it was probably Melbourne.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you do see some great works of art there. Love the dogs, fantastic. I am also fascinated by the first shot :-) Take care and enjoy the week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. The man and dogs one is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing all this fabulous art and I especially like the dogs, both the live ones and the artistic ones.
    I saw that Qantas just launched a direct flight between Perth and London and it sounded interesting until I read the story written by a travel writer who took the first flight from Perth to London in coach. He didn't paint a pretty picture. Given how cramped and sleepless I felt on my last 8 hour flight to London, I can't image having to endure that for 18 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...looks like great fun, I'd love to see it, but it's just too far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the idea and the sculptures. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every year this event is always beautiful! Arianna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a creative setting made by nature and people. Love the Sculpture by the Sea. And the dogs of course.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like both dogs and sculpture. Having the two together is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like all those dogs in Spirit, Grace! Thanks for showing us all of the sculptures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a great place for us dog lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I especially love the first one. I don't know if it's the sculpture or the photo which is amazing. And the second one is really enigmatic. Well it's seems with your blog that something always happens in Perth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't go wrong to post dog photos! I particularly like the top indigenous art work; happy that these artists are invited.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the post. Beautiful pics. Awesome sculpture works.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun art! All those dogs... that's different, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's hard to imagine weaving that first sculpture. Even wearing gloves it seems impossibly rough and complicated. And as a dog lover I of course enjoy the live and the sculptured both. Especially Bruno. Bravo for him!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love those quotes, Grace :-)
    Funny. When I think of Perth dogs are the least I think of! I never have to look out for poo there, nor have I seen that many dogs!
    Here on the other hand... oh, how often do I take the other side cause someone with an unleashed dog is on the sidewalk! Or a leash very, very long.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That guy in the first photo looks really surprised and I thought they were real dogs on the beach at first. Least they can't leave unpleasant surprises behind

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is such a great event to visit, love all your photos of it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You really capture seaside life. Love the big rescue dog! You know he is grateful to his master.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness, such different art installations. I'm very impressed with the dogs on the beach (both real and created). What are the art dogs made of, cardboard? And the weaving, what an expressive face.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loving that first face right off! Such amazing art, especially the dogs, and even sweeter yet live dogs! Funny signs too! What a joyful post thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's hard to imagine weaving that first sculpture. Even wearing gloves it seems impossibly rough and complicated. And as a dog lover I of course enjoy the live and the sculptured both. Especially Bruno. Bravo for him!
    สมัคร D2BET
    Gclub

    ReplyDelete