Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Sculpture by the Sea II..



If you have a look back at my pics of last year's Sculpture by the Sea the sky was peppered with tres photogenic cloudettes! Not a one this year which is a shame, the clouds add texture to an otherwise too blue sky! Here we are back on Cottesloe Beach to see more.  Above and below 'Flight' by UK artist Rhiannon West. 'A playful and inviting sculpture for that 'Kodak' moment. Reflective and vibrant when the sun is high in the sky, solid and bold at sunset. Dichroic lenses form human sized wings to refract and reflect the sun.' Will go back to take this one before sundown..
   

Below my own angel :) 'Waiting in the Wings.' Beautifully created in marine grade aluminum, coloured mirror finish and stainless steel by WA artist Denise Pepper. The artist's statement 'Cottesloe's inspiring vista gifts a beautiful place to muse whilst waiting between the wings. The wings, symbols of lightness and imagination are used as an expression of our aspiration towards a higher possibility.'


The symbolic work below created using galvanized steel, carbon fibre and timber oars is by NZ sculptor Rebecca Rose. The artist's statement 'What prompted our ancestors to pick up their oars and make journeys across the ocean? Adventure, opportunity or necessity. New waves of migration continue. The oar is a symbol of guidance and teamwork. There is strength in unity'.


While I was snapping details below the redhead was doing the same from another angle :) Loved the sensuous smooth granite lines of 'The Place Where a Heart Could Stay' by South Korean sculptor Sang Sug Kim. 'The relationship between a human and their homeland. The negative space left in the torso of the figure represents home.. its location in the middle of the human body represents happiness in our very core.' I find the artist's statement so moving, considering the number of people around the world today who have been driven from their homes not knowing if they will ever see them again.


Below coming in for the 'Final Approach' a piece created in aluminum, steel and polyester by WA artist Geoff Overheu. The artist's statement 'Modernism is in retreat. There is a sense of finality in the work.. an ending, out of energy, out of space, with nowhere to go except down'. Hmmm! Just what I want to think about with trip to Sydney coming up :) That's the Indiana in the background, but you knew that already right! More tomorrow, happy Wednesday, take care and stay safe..
 


25 comments:

  1. These are marvelous! Terrific take with Aimee, and my favourite of the set is that last sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art giveth wings, and I'm so impressed by the art you share! J'adore thin-film optics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all fabulous Grace, but my favourites are the top two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing all the sculptures on the beach. This is a wonderful show for both artists to display their work, and the public to appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These Sculptures Are Brilliant & I Love The Sculpture by the Sea 2018.. Knitting with wire. Photos As Well. Thanx For Sharing!!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first pic reminds me of a peacock's tail, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic display of art, truly amazing. Great photos, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Waiting in the Wings is interesting to me and it was clever of you to take one photo on an angle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the first one best, though they are all interesting and inspiring. Probably wouldn't look so good under the grey clouds of England.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A gorgeous set of photos, Grace. I was trying to think of the one I liked best, and I decided not to even try to do that 'cause I liked them all so much and then I decided again that it was probably the first one and I'm so amazed at the creative power of the minds of these people who build such beautiful creations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You get some amazing works of art in Perth and surrounding areas. You are lucky. All of these are fabulous and not particular favourite. Hope all is well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so great to see, I like all of them. Wish I was there, reminds me a bit at our ArtZuid exhibtion in the open air in Amsterdam. You made some wonderful photos Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the first and second ones. Cottesloe beach is one of the places my daughter and I liked to go for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, so very impressive. These are all fantastic pieces but, I think my favorite is the one called The Place Where a Heart Could Stay. I love the symbolism of that one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always capture the essence of the pieces, PDP.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A "too blue sky"? Are you daft, Grace? No such thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking forward to the "Flight"-sunset-shots, Grace!
    The angel(s)/wings have an inspiring message, too, I like it a lot.
    And I agree, we owe our ancestors a lot - I´d never be brave enough to cross an ocean in a boat!
    The granite is a very important piece, too - and the first pic of it adds some fun and needed lightness :-)
    Oh, my - you´ll certainly go down very, very smoothly in a thing with wings - where ever you go Grace - hopefully everybody else also!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantásticos estes trabalhos escultóricos.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
  19. If I ever came to Perth...it would be during this annual event. LOve this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wanna move to Perth! It's beautiful, it's warm, it's full of art...and no Trump!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, I would love this event!! I am enjoying all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just simply incredible, even down to the blue sun glasses! Such fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, marvelous art installations and personal interpretations, Grace !

    ReplyDelete