Friday, March 2, 2018

The Australian Golden Orb.. the spider that weaves gold..



I know right.. eeeek! Fear not. Although the female golden orb (really good link) seen here, can grow to an impressive four centimetres or more, not counting leg span, they are not aggressive and although their bite may cause mild local pain, numbness and swelling, it is not lethal for humans. I used my long lens not willing to test this info.. for me it would be the shock that would kill me :) They build their webs with yellow gold webbing into which a variety of insects are trapped, wrapped and saved in a cache for later consumption, this female has quite a cache developing there. In the last shot you will see a few brave, much smaller (six millimeters) males hanging around.. you really have to click the above link to see what those brave wee creatures have to endure to mate, and then if she's in a bad mood.. she'll just eat him, shudder! Arachnophobia anyone.. or is that just me :) Happy Friday, take care and stay safe..


24 comments:

  1. Scary, I had never heard of this spider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perth, I haven't been around on the net for awhile for obvious reasons. So thankful that I landed on your page today.

    Backing up here:
    Holiday In The Fast Lane photo was outstanding and love that blurred effect
    The Ocean Inspires Imagination was beyond cute
    Amazing lush gardens from Around Maylands Cottages
    Wilds Blowing in From the South photo was TOP SHELF
    And Now, This Spider is completely magical and well captured

    Keep On Keeping On And Thanx For Sharing All These Wonderful Moments In Time
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty spider! I would photograph them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind seeing them but if one ever was on me I think I would faint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Female spiders seem to be a bloodthirsty murderous lot even if their webs are things of great beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of spiders at all. The male spiders are taking a chance with the moody females. Instead of lunch, they could be lunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Les photos sont belles mais j'ai peur des araignées, elles font de vilaines piqûres :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neat spiders. Now for some snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, that's interesting. I wouldn't want to get too close though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Orb weaving spiders are so cool, and this one is right up there. Thank you for your excellent photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant photos. I have often wondered about what is caught in the web, that is, has it already been consumed and just the spider skin? remains, or if was a saved dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, you really should give a warning, Grace. Well, actually you did, but I´ve been scrolling down too fast, LOL.
    Interesting, but just from far away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You captured him very well, but I am not a lover of spiders. But this one looks very great with its fancy red legs:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I almost walked right into a web of this (or very similar) spider when I was in Florida. I stopped my self in time, but fell right over in fright!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eeeek is right! I do hate spiders. I would have taken this with a telephoto lens too. I can't believe how big the female is and little the male is. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Imagine walking into that web....eeek

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos, but spiders--ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos but I ma not a spider fan!!!! Enjoy the weekend Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Impressive spider....all the members of this genus are similarly splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice pictures, and even if this spider is not particularly poisonous, I won't get close to her, she doesn't inspire me much confidence (but what spider can do it). Anyway, this serie of pictures is really very impressive.

    ReplyDelete