Thursday, March 8, 2018

Sculpture by the Sea III..



More to see at Sculpture by the Sea 2018 on Cottesloe Beach. There are seventy installations in this years event, did I hear a *gasp*.. don't worry I'm only picking a handful.. or two :) to show you here. 'Damien Hirst Looking for Sharks' created by Danger Dave & Christian Rager using PVC tarpaulin and ripstop nylon was a huge hit with youngsters poking and prodding it's huge nose. As much as I tried I could not get the ocean horizon to match the water level in his goggles, close though :)  The artists 'Paying homage to one of Damien Hirst's most important works The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living'..
 

I loved 'A Rhythm of Landscape' below, created in stainless steel and granite by Japanese sculptor Tsutomu Matsunaga. The artist's statement explains perfectly how I viewed this work. 'Interacting with nature by rhythmically reflecting the surrounding landscape and interacting with people by reflecting expressions in the environment. This work is born of vitality by having movement and expression'. In the close-up shot many mini views captured and in the bigger shot with the artist himself the piece, in parts, is almost invisible as it blends with its surrounds.. parfait!


This too was a favourite. 'Sunny Moon' created in corten steel by Israeli Sculptor Zadok Ben-David. There is no artist statement.. non needed, to admire and appreciate was enough!


Standing reaching up to the blue skies is 'The Elder'. Created in marine grade aluminum by Ron Gomboc 'The Elder and son are represented as two independent figures with wings, demonstrating the freedom that can be gained by compassion and mutual respect'.. 


Below WA artist Kevin Draper's 'Configuration' created in forged, painted steel references 'a plantation where only upright trunks remain of the original living plants. These trees were planted in a gridlike configuration, contrasting with surrounding endemic vegetation'.. Looks amazing against the blue of the ocean and the sky..


 Last but not least for today 'Resonating Circle' created in steel and polished concrete by South African sculptor Simon Youngleson. 'This work explores the resonance of a sequence of circles, in ratio, all embedded in the design of the human form'..


... and here my own homage to the beauty of our environment and the perfect foil for these artistic endeavours, the turquoise blue waters of Cottesloe Beach.. Happy Thursday, take care and stay safe..

 

28 comments:

  1. Hard to pick a favourite here, Grace. They're splendid works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love "Looking for sharks" and "Sunny Moon". But they are all fabulous as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damien is full of humor I think. My favorite in this group is "Configuration" but I also like "The Elder". It really is hard to choose one, they are all great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As before no real favourites they are all excellent, if any maybe the moon would come out tops. Hope you are rid of the cough mine is no change!!! Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love these so much! I always get so excited when I find outdoor installations like these. I love Sunny Moon, it reminds me of fan corals with the way it's been designed - so pretty, but I think my favourite is Configuration - the colours and the design remind me of Tim Burton films! Sorry it's been so long since I last commented too, things have been a little hectic in my part of the world. - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is tough to pick a favourite! All are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all quite incredible but the first one takes the prize, in my opinion. It is so realistic looking and must be great fun for the kiddos. Or maybe a bit scary, even, to have such a human-looking head staring at you. Lots of fun at the beach these days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If he's looking for sharks then surely he's looking the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're all so cool!! What happens to them after?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic pieces they all are. So nice to see it all displayed at the beach. The blue sky and the ocean play a great backdrop for all the art. Your photos show the beauty of these displays. Well done, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the first one and the last one the best, Grace! What a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely place to show sculptures. I love the shiny one with all the reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness she squished his nose, too funny. That is one incredible face isn't it? Incredible ideas always, I just adore this event.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Damien Hirst and the circles and your own scene win the prizes today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Elder appeals to me. You need to be up a bit higher to match the water levels, up on Aimee's shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like all of these, though "Looking for Sharks" is a lot of fun and you did a good job of getting close to the horizon like. What a terrific lot of art. How nice to have so much to see.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the post. Awesome works.
    2nd pic my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I´ve been waiting for this guy, Grace!
    Must be impressive to stand in front of his face!
    But, eww, the story behind the shark is kinda icky, LOL.
    The second one is clever!
    They´re all great and the "trees" really stand out towards the sky, beautiful colors.
    Some more handfulls, please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The top shot is very good!
    So Comical and Humorous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Je suis vraiment étonnée de voir tout ce qui se passe à Perth au point de vue culturel, c'est vraiment fantastique !

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are all amazing, you made a good choise for us. That Damian Hirst is very striking! And so nice you had the artist polishing his work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow they are all so awesome! I think I'd love to have the elder sculpture in my lounge on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love them. Can't imagine being creative enough to think these up!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have said it before, it is always such a great joy to see all the artistic and fun work you have in public areas!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another beautiful selection, Grace !
    The first pic is really fun !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Some great sculptures here. Top photo is crazy fun.

    ReplyDelete