Friday, March 17, 2017

Step one: Smile and make eye contact!




Every year since 1992 the Art Gallery of WA has hosted a Year 12 Perspectives exhibition highlighting the thoughts and concerns of young people today as they end their school years and step out into the world. The shots here are from the 2016 exhibition ending on 2nd April.. I'm very much looking forward to the 2017 exhibition, I'm sure current world events will be play a big part in the concerns of many young people. 'Group Chat' by Sarah Boon below.. when 'the use of technology in our lives disrupts relationships we have with each other'. Mobile devices should be banned at the dinner table don't you think, but how incredible is the execution of the scene, so much talent.


Below.. Looking at the world 'through rose-coloured glasses' is something we all do from time to time but on issues such as climate change only those who have vested interest in big business making lots of money refuse to believe, or don't care about, the evidence. With her image here Ellie McDonald states 'the idea of the world being unaffected by climate change has finally collapsed'.. we can live in hope!


'The politics of aesthetic' below by Carla Genovesi.. 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The artwork alludes to the disjuncture between one's elemental world and the external expectation on how we are perceived'. There are still people who value a person mainly on how they look, I feel sad for them, they miss out on interacting with multi dimensional human beings..

 
 'Under our skin' below by Lauren Jones.. 'the stigma of mental illness is a huge issue in our society and many people are embarrassed by it or try to cover it up. The inability to see the effects of mental illness make it like no other, someone can be suffering and we don't even notice. The angst, tension and suffocation felt by sufferers of mental illness can be overwhelming and can often cause great harm'. Again, the creating of these charcoal images is incroyable!


There are so many talented young artists featured in this 2016 exhibition, if you would like to see more of the Year 12 Perspectives 2016 you can view the catalogue here. The words of one of my favourite artists Pablo Picasso below.. it's true, once out in the real world it is all to easy to become disillusioned..  not conducive to creative inspiration! Happy Friday, take care and stay safe.. P.s. I intend to keep my positive vibes intact :)


21 comments:

  1. Under Our Skin is particularly vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those charcoal images are amazing, quite brilliant.
    I hate it when someone talks to me if they don't make eye contact. Thank goodness I am not hooked on our mobile phone which is used for emergencies only. I feel it is the height of bad manners to sit at a table or even more so in a restaurant playing with a phone! Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some very clever, creative artwork there with strong messages. The expression on the faces in the charcoal images are extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would allow phone use until everyone is organised and the food is ordered, although there is a danger of a person looking at their phone and not the menu and choosing their food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all have artist abilities and can be devolved over time.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smile and make eye contact! Really? This is something new? Darn, I'm glad that I'm old!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some great artwork here.

    Mobile phones can be handy, but I wish some folks could just leave them alone and not constantly have them in their hands ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great art from young artists Grace and very strong messages. I do love that painting of the family around the dinner table with their phones. Unfortunately I see that a lot in restaurants. Just the other day on the train with my visiting family we commented on how 90% of the carriage had people glued to their phones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing works by Year 12's. Picasso was so right. It is heart breaking to see children lose their creativity, usually because someone has been negative about their attempts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible works here, Grace, that´s the second point of my very fresh Perth2019-list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You showe us some interesting items to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like all the artwork. The Picasso quote makes my day!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  13. And a smile is for free, so why not make it a habit to start with that :)
    Love both charcoal images!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an incredible show and what talent. I'm so impressed by the thought went into these pieces and the beautiful craftsmanship. That quote is so very true!

    ReplyDelete
  15. From what I see here from 2016, I, too, would be anxious to see the 2017 exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting art gallery...Arianna

    ReplyDelete
  17. I rarely even take my phone out of my bag when we're out. There was a time I was constantly emailing, but one day, I was having lunch with a very patient friend and realized I was really ignoring her. I knew it had to stop.

    ReplyDelete