Thursday, March 9, 2017

Sculpture by the Sea IV..



We arrived at Cottesloe Beach above to see Sculpture by the Sea at around 7.30am.. the light at this time although gorgeous is a wee bit tricky shadow-wise. As I mentioned last post a lot of the sculptures included in this outdoor exhibition are of a relevant theme, as is the work below by WA artist Kerrie Argent using upcycled/recycled knitted fabrics, calico and steel titled 'Homeless'.. 'mountainous excess of unwanted unloved textiles. Landfill homes for the homeless'..


Below, WA artist Anne Neil's  'Murmer' created using marine grade aluminum, the work 'suggests the vast number of shell like forms while remaining formally abstract'..


Below, looking back along the beach..


Below Oliver Stretton-Pow's 'Infrastructure 5'  using redwood, marine ply and bronze. 'Taps into the rampant development that has pride of place in the city, as if humanity has spilled over the boundaries of the mainland and continued building in an insatiable quest for progress'..


Slovakian sculptor Lubomir Mikle's impressive entry below created using coated mild steel and titled I.H.W.M.A , 2014  'transformation of my own work of art as a reaction to the dynamically changing nature of the environment'..


Ending today with a touch of whimsy and fun created by multi talented  NSW artist Margarita Sampson using steel, wood ply, structural foam, fiberglass and textiles and titled 'Dearest'.. the artist's statement.. 'Don't get too comfortable'..


... but look who did :) As always I begged asked Aimee to interact with some of the sculptures, this piece was calling out for a bit of interaction don't you think.. the funny thing was, that as soon as Aimee posed, people all around started snapping shots of her too, I wish I'd taken a shot of that :) Have saved a few for Weekend Reflections, hope that you're enjoying.. happy Thursday, take care and stay safe..





25 comments:

  1. Murmer and Dearest are my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post with these sculptures. Love the shot of Aimee interacting with that one. She was dressed perfectly for this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee looks right at home on the sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha dear Aimee! So impressed with your artists and nice shots, G!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sculptures on the beach. We have beautiful beaches here but our island is eroding so fast, I don't think they'd last more than a few years here. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enjoying all the sculptures you show, Grace. What a wonderful event!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like them all and love your last pic of Aimee, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another impressive collection of creative and inspiring art. I like all of these including that last one that Aimee is enjoying. "Don't get too comfortable" is a perfect comment to make about it. I'd be very wary sitting there surrounded by all those slinky things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aimee adds the best touch to the sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. More beautiful pieces Grace and you did a wonderful job photographing them. Aimee looks so cute in that last shot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Teepees! Some really good ones today. The boat gets my vote today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aimee looks perfect on that sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a variety. Those cones make me think of Easter Island sculpture and Native American tents. And we couldn't have that sofa in our gome - it would make me queasy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pink sea monster davenport would be great to have one house.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Grace, I simply fail to make a fav here, they´re all fantastic!! The "transformation..." seems to ask "touch me", no?
    Yes, I could imagine people taking a shot along with you of the last one :-) Just a combination too perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing pieces of art, Grace, especially the last one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome pics and works.
    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such impressive artworks, that last one is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This event is always amazing. I rolled down to see what. I had missed. Wow! Love the one with Aimee in it

    ReplyDelete
  20. All great again, Aimee fitted right in with that sculpture.
    When I went there I hardly had the chance to take one without anyone sitting there, there was a queue...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Etrange ! Ce sont des sapins de Noël ou des tipis.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love all of these Grace ... especially the last one with Aimee.
    Magic!!!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the last one best, too.

    ReplyDelete