Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Standing on it's own merit.....

When I started putting this post together it was going to be all about the QV1 building on the corner of Milligan St. and St. George's Terrace, but looking at the shots I took, I could see that that might have to wait for a while, because this sculpture by Charles Perry seems to dominate. Perhaps you've seen a C.O. Perry sculpture in your own city, he has works in USA, Japan, UK and many more cities (including Sydney), if you click here you will see a guide to his sculptures, this one in Perth is in the 'Planar' section and is called Conic Madrigal, but you might see and recognize one in your city that you hadn't noticed before. Charles Perry (1929 - 2011) believed that a sculpture 'must stand on it's own merit without need of explanation', I have a feeling that more than one person would have stood looking at this sculpture thinking 'what's THAT all about'! If you don't recognize his sculptures you might own, or know about his ergonomic chairs, the Perry, Uno or Virtuoso. Whatever you might think of his work, I believe this one here in Perth was not popular in the beginning, he had a brilliant mind and was a talented artist in many areas. I hope your week is off to a good start, stay safe.....


23 comments:

  1. I like this. Perhaps because I like red and Calder. None in France though, I'd never heard of him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is terrific -- and I love red, too! I'd never heard of him either, but I do like his work! Your photos are terrific, Grace! Thanks for sharing and for the information! Hope your week is off to a great start! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! I can see why the general public might take a while to warm up to it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would take some pondering to figure out what it was, or why! But, I do like the color red...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love art in open space in general, I love red... The sculpture forms a good contrast to the skycraper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A briliant splash of red ... I love it . Must check and see if we have any Charles Perry sculptures here in Adelaide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't heard of Charles Perry but this sculpture is very unique indeed

    ReplyDelete
  8. While it's certainly standing, whether it has merit I can't seem to decide. It certanly does dominate, that's a no-brainer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this sculpture! Love the bright red. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reminded me a bit of the form DNA has. Wonderful colour. Please have a good Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't mind this one, probably because of that strong red colour. Think I'm getting more used to modern art/sculpture. I'm not overly impressed by the yellow think at the MLC Centre in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know of two around here, one in Hartford (http://hartforddailyphoto.blogspot.com/2011/04/weekend-reflections-bushnell-park.html ) and another in West Hartford (http://hartforddailyphoto.blogspot.com/2011/02/west-hartford-town-hall.html).

    I liked his work. This Perth sculpture is great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the way you have captured them all Grace!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn´t know about his sculptures, but have heard of the chairs. It certainly is imposing, specially being in red.

    ReplyDelete
  15. je suis d'accord avec l'ami Bergson. Elle va avaler l'immeuble ;))

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG I think Joanna Lumley left her hat behind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really strange and interesting sculpture. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like a completely different kind of sculpture, but these things always look very good as urban furniture...

    ReplyDelete