Friday, May 18, 2012

A 'paddle out' for Simon.....


This isn't the post that I had planned for today but yesterday was the fourth anniversary of the tragic passing of a lovely young man, the son of friends and a schoolmate of my own son. It was incredibly difficult to write this post, how do you even begin to understand how things like this can happen and the pain parents feel. I wanted to do it (with the ok from Simon's Dad) as a tribute to a fine young man, well loved and missed in the body boarding and music scene here in Perth. I'm sure that he would have been there in spirit on the chilly day that his family and mates gathered on the beach to give him the traditional surfers send off called a 'paddle out'. Above, Simon's sister, brother, girlfriend and close friend prepare to go out into the heavy swell each carrying a flower which they will, along with the ashes, release into the ocean that he loved so much. After this private moment many surfing mates paddle out to join them, forming a circle of boards they cheer and slap the water, the traditional sign of respect, while family and non surfing friends watch this very moving ceremony from the shore. It's extremely hard to understand why things like this happen, I'm sure there must be a plan..a bigger picture, it's just not always easy to comprehend what it is.   R.I.P Simon Lee.

39 comments:

  1. Things like this happen... really hard to understand. Honorable tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute! What heartbreak for his family and friends! Like you, I can't understand how these things can and do happen! The idea of losing one of my children is almost more than I can bear and this year has reminded me of how fragile life can be! I send much love and caring thoughts to you all!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sad post, but a very moving and beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Un bel modo per non dimenticare!! felice serata...ciao

    ReplyDelete
  5. un tres bel hommage, de superbes photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful tribute. There is nothing that can take away the pain of losing a child, but it is nice to know that people don't forget them. That is one of the hardest parts...feeling that they are forgotten. Thank you for a lovely post today, Grace. I am sure the family appreciates your remembrance. God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nicely restrained tribute, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Grace, that is so tragic, so moving and so beautifully put together by you. I cannot bear to imagine what some people have to suffer with- if there is a bigger picture I hope it is a happier one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a touching tribute of his friends and family for the young boy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A sad day for his family Grace but a very fitting tribute to a lad who loved the sea..

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great tribute indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even though the pain remains, there is strength in each other that helps us face another day. A great tribute, Grace. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful tribute! So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Grace, I am so sorry. Your photographs are a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a very beautiful gesture. You make me wonder just what happened to the young man, but I may be better off not knowing.

    Sorry I haven't been by much in the last several days. Brutal week at work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bless him, the family & friends.

    A lovely and meaningful post!


    Friendly Aloha from Waikiki
    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a lovely post. They do that here too and use pebbles on the beach to write the name...

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so sad - the loss of any life is a tragedy but especially one so young. What a beautiful tribute by his friends and family...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am new here...and am touched by the beauty of what I see. This is a lovely post about lovely people.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Moving tribute....the last two are beautiful in their sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh Grace, this is such a lovely post, a tribute to both a lost way too soon young man and his family/friends .. it cant have been easy to write, so hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a moving tribute, two people I know well also lost their children last year in car accidents, and I know how awful this has been for them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I"m sure Simon's friends and family will appreciate your heartfelt words and lovely photographs to help them remember this day. Beautiful tribute Grace.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sad... but beautiful at the same time. I'm very impressed because the son of some friends of mine died while surfing at the close by Carcavelos Beach (I have posted many photos) and his name was... Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Un bel hommage! Je comprends ta peine, Gracie.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely post, Grace, and a thoughtful way to pay one's respects.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely and in its own way solemn ceremony to remember a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. very sensitively done Grace...
    may his soul rest in peace..

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for a lovely and touching post. I lost my daughter when she was 17. It's hard.

    ReplyDelete