Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Sculpture by the Sea II..



If you embiggen the shots you'll see this gorgeous beach even better..The good thing about Sculpture by the Sea is that even if you're not a fan of modern installations, and I'm sure there are many :) the setting on Cottesloe Beach is astoundingly beautiful, I mean just look at that sky, could it be any more perfect, those clouds a work of art in their own right! Above 'bubble' 'floating on the landscape' by NSW artists Johannes Muljana and Pamela Lee Brenner looks particularly fetching under a myriad of puffy white cloudettes, new word alert :) As does 'a burden' by NSW artists Suzie Bleach and Andrew Townsend. The Indiana Tea Rooms to the right are a welcome addition in any shot.


This was one of my favourites and I'm not all that sure the photos do it justice. The abstract outdoor kinetic sculpture 'kakashi 2012' by Lithuania/USA artist Zilvinas Kempinas made up of steel snow poles and bird repellent tape shimmered and shivered as those cloudettes passed over and the gentle breeze rippled by. The gentleman below wiping the salt spray from the poles, like most beautiful things.. high maintenance :)



Apart from the size and smooth/rough granite beauty of 'the first experience of a poet #3' by South Korean artist Hyung-Taek Chang it was the little pink sandal left behind that caught my attention and that of the gentleman below. The unexpected addition compelled me to compare in imagination the size of the footprint we leave behind, very much larger and heavier and in many cases more destructive the older we grow.. 


It has been said that I carry everything but the kitchen sink around  in my handbag :) I can't compete with the burgeoning stainless steel 'traveling bag' by Chinese artist Yumin Jing.. the work expresses the artist's 'enthusiasm and expectation of the city'..


Austrian artist Markus Hofer's 'Der Traktor' states 'every sculpture is a decision, because if you make a sculpture , you don't make all other sculptures in this moment'.. When Mr. Hofer made this installation he was very much in the Australia moment, check the shape of the pink laquer :)


OK enough for today.. I'll leave you with this fun shot of ma fille and 'the bubble no.7' created by Chinese artist Qian Sihua in painted stainless steel. 'In order to prove his existence the artist must exhibit'.. bravo Mr. Sihua, I totes agree! More tomorrow but if you want to see a different view of the sculptures pop over to see Aimee's perspective, even if she did rat on me :) and even more over at Sami's colourful world.. between the three of us you are getting full coverage :) Happy Tuesday, take care and stay safe...p.s. how about that new word 'cloudette'.. I like it a lot!


29 comments:

  1. I can see why Kakashi appeals to you, Grace. It's my favourite of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun sculptures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of these. I think your photos of kakashi 2012 are great. I can see the shimmer in them. The giant purse made me laugh since I carry my camera around in my purse, I need a big one. Oh, I love the new word. I may have to use it when we get these puffy clouds in our area. They are so photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them all but especially 'bubble'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would find it impossible to select a favorite. It is so eclectic and imaginative. It would take many trips before I would see and appreciate it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love numbers one and two and had a preview of the last one on FB. That's actually my favourite, though not necessarily because of the sculpture, Mama F. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun and creative installations, I like them all, Grace !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the sculptures, it is such a great event showing them on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all such fun, what a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Creative art on the beach is priceless. Must be a very enjoyable place to hangout and feast on all of the art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dang! I'm beginning to wonder if there's any room for those who went to the beach to see the beach. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. All interesting works. With the long shadows I am guessing it is quite early, but there are still people in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are all absolutely fantastic Grace. What a beautiful day. I love those clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just catching up with your recent posts.
    I love Sculpture by the sea - I enlarged the pictures - they are amazing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will say that I enjoyed all of these. Nice to see Aimee having some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so much fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  17. One more interesting than the last and impossible to pick a favorite. I do much like the neologism cloudette, though. And never ran into the word embiggen before, although it makes perfect sense. An Aussieism?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for mentioning my blog Grace. Your pictures look wonderful with the beautiful beach, blue sky and puffy clouds.It's so difficult to chose a top favorite but I think the silver bag would be it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh ... Such an inspiring exhibition Grace. They are all great but the horse wins hands down for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All uniquely beautiful in their own way!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Image number 1,4 and 8 are my favourits.
    Your beaches are so much more than what we see up here.
    Artists should have thought out something to show here too.
    Perhaps you should recommend them to go to Scandinavia too

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, yes, Grace, I see it only now, the pink Aussie at 'Der Traktor'!
    All wonderful works and yes, the pink sandal just adds perfectly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I like the Traveling Bag best.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Superbes ces sculptures, j'aime beaucoup :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Superbes ces sculptures, j'aime beaucoup :)

    ReplyDelete