Saturday, September 22, 2018

Underwater communications..



Driving down the coast road on Thursday I spotted the cable ship Ile de Brahat just off Floreat Beach. Of course I didn't know that as I pulled in to check it out. Seeing the multitude of red balls my first thought was that were installing another shark net like they have at Sorrento Beach. Me to man standing watching next to me 'good to see another shark net going in'. Man to me 'actually it's the sub-sea cable system connecting WA to Singapore, this is the first section to Christmas Island.' Me to man 'absolutely, that was going to be my second guess' 😉 If you are interested in the technicalities you can read about the details of the sub-sea cable here. Happy Saturday, take care and stay safe..


23 comments:

  1. I would have no idea either that, that is the way they install sub-sea cable, lol
    Great photos Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and here I thought that talking under water was difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots, Grace! That is the blue we expect from Perth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great come back to guy you were chatting with. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots, Grace. I wouldn't have known that either. I second Andy's comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have guessed right there. Interesting post. Hope you have a great weekend. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Hawaii sees such ships and is a nexus of such cables too G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's impressive! Just glancing at Google Maps, WA to Christmas Island is about 1000 miles. Cool photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone should have kept their mouth firmly closed. It is a replacement cable, it seems. So much happens behind the scenes we don't know about, but now we do know about this. A friend told me that our data traffic to the UK and Europe travels via the US, which makes it just that bit slower. I wonder how our connection to Africa travels. I expect we will find out in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kinda reminds me of when we you asked me about our day in Joondalup ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that is something I'll never see for myself so thank you for showing it to me. The world is such an amazing place and I'm so glad I have City Daily Photo friends to show me around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing like a quick side step to keep face.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing works, techniques are amazing nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hallo Grace,
    Wonderful shot of that big ship at the sea.
    Special to read about that connection. No sharks..hihi...!!

    Best regards,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's super cool -- the ship, your conversation, and the fact that such cables can go into the sea and do their job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Impressive, and I thought all communications go via satellite...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting. What amazing blue waters!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting, must be quite the undertaking to install something like that!

    ReplyDelete