Friday, May 5, 2017

The Atlas Building encore..



Standing in front of the still working elevator in the Atlas Building I wasn't sure what to expect when the bronze doors opened.. oh la! The interior was more than I could have hoped for, the copper cornices and spandrel panels.. incroyable! As much as I wanted to enter and ride up in this gorgeous lift, memories of getting trapped in a similar old style lift in London came flooding back :) so I feasted visually for a few moments before heading for the white marble staircase..


The original hat and coat hooks outside the rooms here on the second floor, home to the Museum of Perth where there is at the moment a brilliant photographic exhibition about the history of the Atlas Building, photos from and during construction in 1929 right up to date. I'm not embarrassed to say that old black and white photos make me drool a little.. I'm not the only one right:)


Views below from the museum on the second floor looking up Sherwood Court and out over to Elizabeth Quay..


Looking down through the levels of the staircase..


... and back out into the 21st century! While researching the Atlas Building I discovered that Perth has an abundance of Art Deco buildings to be explored, can't wait! Happy Friday, take care and stay safe...


19 comments:

  1. Your staircase shots are my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos from inside Grace. Never visited the Perth museum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for showing us some of the interior. What a gorgeous place. I agree with William - those staircases are to die for! And I love the shot looking out over Elizabeth Quay. Again, I must say your city is very special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great building! The lift is beautiful but I'd use the stairs too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the elegant interior of this building, The elevator is spectacular. One would feel they are going up to something really important in that elevator car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, this really is a gem of a building. I love that elevator and the details on those stairs is wonderful. That elevator reminded me that while I was in London I went to the Museum of London to see the old elevator from the original Selfridges store. It's been preserved and is on display there. It's another art deco gem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really is a stunning place.
    I have really enjoyed all of your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Grace! This reminds me of buildings my father's janitorial service cleaned (and I myself in some cases :). Buildings that had been dusted and swept by long dead hands. Working late at night in buildings such as this, one thinks - or rather FEELS - such things easily. Looking at that fabulous LIFT I am reminded of the manual elevator I operated as a youngster. It was my job -for a while - on Saturdays to answer the elevator bell and to take the occasional office tenant up to their floor and later back down to the lobby. Now I think of it, some where displeased at how long I took! But I must have been replacing the paper towels in the ladies room on the 10th floor. . . Thanks for the rich photos that have filled me with memories and dream material!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that elevator -- beautiful! You got stuck in one? My goodness! What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grace, Cuba... I got stuck, without Ingo and Cubans are in no rush when it comes to getting stuck between floors.
    Wow, beautiful lift, inside out.
    B/W-photos sure are special.
    Love also the last pic, the light is beautiful, I see a good future :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, a wonderful building, so well preserved, would love to walk around there too.(I have posted our Atlas for you today!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A building of quality and style so unlike the glass monstrosities that plague the world today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This building is outstanding and remarkable in every respect, both inside and out. I doubt that I have ever been in one such as this Atlas building.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a grand building. I would have walked the stairs too, I not a fan of elevators.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful building! Especially the elevator.

    ReplyDelete