Monday, March 14, 2016

Sculpture by the Sea 1..



I'm sure it doesn't come as a surprise to anyone :) that yes we did head down early yesterday morning  to Sculpture by the Sea on Cottesloe Beach. We arrived just after 6am as we always do for four very good reasons, one to find a parking easily, two to beat the heat (39C), three to beat the crowds and most important of all to have breakfast before the cafes are overflowing.. coffee at this time in the morning is imperative! The shot above just before sunrise at 6.15 and below about an hour after. The  plan was that we would go off and do our own thing, Aimee along the beach.. can you see the red head down there, there's no denying that Aimee adds colour wherever she goes :) myself along the top on the path...


Well that lasted all of about the time it took for me spot 'the book cave'.. an interactive piece by WA artist Juliet Lea. The work 'allows the viewer to sit within stories looking out to sea, a place for contemplation, dreaming and reading'. Unfortunately I just missed the young lady below doing exactly that.. was fun to see people doing what I was doing, checking how many of the books I had read.. Wilbur Smith, Colleen McCullough, Robert Ludlum, to name a few..  pull these shots in and see how many books you can spot that you have read, let's make it a 'virtual interactive piece' :) As you can imagine this is just the beginning, there are many more shots to come. Hope you had/are having a fab weekend, take care and stay safe..P.s. rather a nice hat left behind on the fence there! P.p.s off to bed early last night, big catch up today!


37 comments:

  1. I suppose that's the best time to go Grace, no crowds yet climbing all over the pieces!
    I also had a look at the hundreds of book titles there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that books are to read. (just kidding)

    Tomás.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the bookgloo, it's very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Daughter does add colour to our world! The [red] apple didn't fall far from the lovely tree

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the book cave. I can imagine laying or sitting in there reading and enjoying the surf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really a "novel" igloo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I love that book sculpture .. Perfect beach shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a very interesting sculpture. I recognized a few books too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool, Grace. Hope the knee is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would be nice to sit in a cave of books and absorb their contents without having to read them. I mean more academic style books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A sculpture of books is a unique piece of art... and on a beach too. The igloo shape is most appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol sent me - for which I thank her.
    Oh the book cave. How I would love to see that...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uhm, can you believe it? Can't see a single familiar title. Oh well. Give me a good history. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love that book igloo! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The book cave is amazing, what a super spot to sit and watch the ocean...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can readily see why you anticipate this event every year! What fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm fascinated by the top item. It looks like a giant listening device pointed out to sea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the book cave it would make an excellent sun shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE the artistic and unique book cave!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Who knew you could do that with books Grace? Plenty of reading material while reclined on the beach tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I mean "too" not "tomorrow". Sorry. Predictive text took over.

    ReplyDelete

  22. I like to have a hut made of books impossible to get bored.

    On the roof, this is not an angel, it is the symbol of Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fascinating art installation!! Can you add rooms as and when you finish reading more books ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. A sculpture made of books--what a great idea! I couldn't do a book cave...my books are all digital!

    (I couldn't do it anyway--I'd never be able to make them stay in place....)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now that´s a great piece of art, I like it, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the "book cave"...I like going early for all the same reasons...great shots Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is the first time I see a book igloo ! Cool !

    ReplyDelete
  28. So I hope you're feeling better!
    I love, love, love the half igloo (though of course I'd "unbuild" it in a jiffy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. she paid another artist to make the metal frame,then poked holes through all the books and pushed them throught the metal poles.Yep she really loves books!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, my goodness, I so love this!

    ReplyDelete