Monday, May 4, 2015

Monster from the deep..



The main reason we went to Fremantle last week was to look for this new mural by English artist Phlegm. Fortunately we didn't have to search at all, there it was! When you come into the port city on Queen Victoria Street, the main road entering Freo from Perth, you can't miss it on the side of the old naval store building. Directly over the road from the harbour it couldn't possibly be in a more ideal spot.


Painted in early April this year as part of FormPUBLIC 2015 the detail in Phlegm's work is phenomenal, remember his piece here for FormPUBLIC last year. There's much history along this stretch near the harbour.. Cantonment Hill has been used for military purposes since the early 1900's, looks like the signal tower has had a bit of a (t)art up also!


I was lucky to get this shot below without any cars obstructing the view as it's a really busy intersection, I'm standing on the river-side of the road. Isn't it fantastic, I think it will be there for a while, I'm almost sure there are no plans to knock this building down. Hope you had/or are still having a good weekend, happy Monday, take care and stay safe..
Click here to see more Monday Murals


35 comments:

  1. Oh, Grace, this is awesome!! I'm not sure I would want to walk on that side of the street and if I did and someone casually touched me, I'd probably jump out of my skin!! But what fun at the same time!! Thank you so much for sharing all of this art around the city!! It's all amazing!! Have a great new week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember his piece from last year, Grace! I love all the little people crawling about on the tentacles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done Grace...you "shot" the octopus...which is rather fantastic by the way :) the tentacle people are rather intriguing, they increase the lifeness of the art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You keep topping yourself! Do link to Oakland Daily Photo's Monday Murals!



    ALOHA from Honolulu,
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ein tolles Wandbild schön das kein Auto im Weg war.

    Gruß
    Noke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice mural. I've only seen one mural in Florida, but in the North I've seen several.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It a rather big work. The signal tower is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Though I like to eat squid, that one scares me!!!! I looooove the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's some piece of work, fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's very impressive Grace. Well worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderfully rendered but icky subject! Makes me cringe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. .... and definitely worth the trip Grace. These monsters from the deep are amazing. Thanks for highlighting them on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It certainly adds a lot to what would otherwise be a rather drab and industrial building. Well worth the drive!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its a nice one especially if you get the impression that the traffic is at danger to get caught. Thanks for showing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for introducing me to Phlegm and his work. I guess choosing that name was better than black-bile. So I guess I could still grab it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great one! Neat how they worked around the windows and all. We have some in our town that have the same feel to them. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh i love that! and the kitties are cute too!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks to be entangling the cars. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a fantastic mural if not a bit scary. I wouldn't want to tangle with a sea monster this big.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful details, Grace! I hope I find it next time we´re there!
    Did you keep a secret from me? Do you actually speak German after all (Noke)???

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, it is nicely painted, and quite creative, but why on earth does anyone want it all over the side of a perfectly good building?

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow - that is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. All together spooky and so mysteriously beautiful too! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely monster octopus. I'll have to return to Fremantle to photograph the Form artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fascinating and a bit scary: an excellent mural!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your close-ups of the mural really show the wonderful (and slightly macabre) details that would be easy to miss in the vastness of the image. Fabulous. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Most impressive! The first photo makes the mural appear as though it is a sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Impressionnant, sur la première photo on dirait qu'elle est vraie et non peinte.:)

    ReplyDelete