Friday, February 12, 2016

Guardians of the harbour..



Red indicates port (left) and green indicates starboard (right), 
so the red lighthouse is on the left of a ship as it enters the harbour. 

 I don't really need an excuse to head down to Fremantle, it's only 30 minutes from home and there are many photo opportunities to be found but like many of you I do love lighthouses and when I read that the heritage listed North and South Mole lighthouses (click link and scroll down if you are interested in the navigational ins and outs of a harbour) had been re-painted.. decision made! Last painted in 2008 they now have the addition of a palisade fence to protect against vandalism, a shame that that is necessary but they look très smart don't you think!


I took the two shots below from the fisherman's harbour using the long lens, minus the tripod again :) From this angle the lighthouses look as if they are not too far apart but...


... the shot below taken from the port where you can see the lighthouses on each side way out there guarding the entrance to the port. Whenever I take river, ocean or beach shots it surprises me how different the sky and water colour looks from every angle, these were all taken within 30 minutes and although it doesn't look like it in the first two shots there was a heat haze hanging on the horizon. Have a few more pics from the harbour, show you tomorrow. Happy Friday, take care and stay safe... 
 
..

39 comments:

  1. They're both beautiful lighthouses. I always enjoy seeing one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remarkable how they painted the light houses. Top.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do LOVE those colorful lighthouses!! And against those BLUE, BLUE skies!!! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are remarkably beautiful. I really enjoy lighthouses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lighthouses--but not as much as my son does. He collects anything that has anything to do with them. He has stamps, books, travel brochures, sculptures, etc.

    These are wonderful photos, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so nice and bright! Hopefully they won't be missed in a storm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely stuff!
    The sea/sky changes moment by moment, always different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful looking lighthouses and I like the colors--Christmas colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really don't mind the fences around them, Grace! I wonder why we all like lighthouses?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really educate me about photography, G. Ima get some real equip someday. What a pleasure you are

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a steady hand you have. I love lighthouses and these are gems!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pfff vandalism on lighthouses... Red and green remind me of my sailing days, super shots Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Certainly bold colours for a lighthouse. I like the coloured fences complementing them too. Most impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos of these gorgeous lighthouses and for putting everything into perspective in that last shot! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Certainly looks like the kinds of port where you'd want to have lighthouses like this helping guide you in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should have warned us to put our sunglasses on before viewing those brightly painted lighthouses. Colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the colour of those lighthouses Grace, it looks like a lovely spot....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't they look great! Queenscliff/Point Lonsdale here have one black and one white house. Something to do with lining them up for navigation, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I love these....so glad you showed them....now I want to go back and click to expand the view.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for making the trip Grace! It was definitely worth it. I love the lighthouses and had no idea about the significance of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love lighthouses. Those are very nice Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  22. They are nice light houses. I don't think I've seen red and green ones before.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brilliant captures all!! Good to learn about the colour coding too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Last shot is special. Take care, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It must be time for a weekend break by the sea Grace. Your photo has given me the getaways.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely lighthouses, so colourful, must have been a little less hot at the seaside I hope. Be careful, stay in the shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love lighthouses, they are so fascinating in my eyes !

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are gorgeous photos! So bright and clear and that sky is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I´ve never seen a green lighthouse, Grace! Beautiful!
    Guess you won´t mind if I print it to hang in our red-green kitchen?
    Reminds me of how my Mum explained "left and right", you hit someone in the face with your right hand, hence his left cheek turns red, that´s left :-)
    Not a chance to ever forget, "right"?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful pictures - the colours are so well captured. It was interesting viewing from various angles too.

    Sharing snapshots at Captured By Jade

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't think I had noticed one of these lighthouses was green before.
    They certainly look nice and bright now.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice lighthouses, and I also like the composition of your last image:)

    ReplyDelete