Friday, January 22, 2016

Whiteman Park.. Conserving the past.



 The blue and white jalopy suspended in mid-air to advertise the Motor Museum at Whiteman Park isn't defying gravity, just a nifty bit of touch-up by yours truly.. it sits atop an ugly metal support which I couldn't resist zapping into obscurity, pretty neat huh :)  Whiteman Park, named after Lew Whiteman, covers 4,000 hectares of natural bush land 22km north of the city. Dedicated to 'the education and conservation of environmental, transport and cultural heritage', the park attracts thousands of tourists, locals and school groups every year.


The Print Shop above, where I believe the old presses are still used to print wedding invitations and personalised stationary.. how cool to see the old printing presses in action.. unfortunately closed! We were a bit early :) The sign above, circa1901, made me smile..forbidden! 'females of doubtful reputation'.. I might not have been able to go in anyway :)


Most popular with young visitors is the Bennett Brook Railway line that runs steam and diesel trains around the park, Unfortunately only 'Ashley' the little blue train that could :) pulled into the station while we were there, not a puff of steam to be seen. Possibly the biggest draw for overseas tourists is the Caversham Wildlife Park, we didn't go in this time but it really is a treat if you have never come face to face with Australia's unique wildlife. I'm saving my own personal favourite exhibition for last, let's just say 'the wheels go round and round' .. no it's not the motor museum above :) Happy Friday, take care and stay safe...




33 comments:

  1. What A Location. Well Done!!

    Thanx 4 Sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you did to it! Flying! All aboard the little train

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very tricky photo shopping! I like the look of this place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day out. You are so clever...I never suspected :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes!! A fun day indeed and you are indeed SO clever!! I love it!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend, Grace!! ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ein Fliegendes Auto sehr schön.

    Gruß
    Noke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job erasing that pole. I can't tell at all. This places appears to be huge with something for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job on that pic, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great edits Grace. That looks like a fine place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures Grace and a nifty bit of Photoshop with the pole! It looks like a fab place or visit and who doesn't love a train....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes! Please don't "zap" me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that's very clever Grace. You had me puzzled.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very clever Grace! I've visited Caversham wildlife park but didn't realise there was more to see around the area. I know - next lot of visitors get to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like this park has a little something for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You got us while photoshopping your photo! Lovely place with that little blue train.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice place! So, down under, cars fly away??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Off limits to women of doubtful reputation? Nice job taking the photos from outside, Grace.

    And, you are pretty good with photoshop. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done, Grace :-)
    Yes, we were in Caversham in 2013, it sure was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the way you tinkered with the image of the car. (Still having trouble commenting on your posts!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had a feeling you had cheated a bit, and nice cheating it was.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh - women of doubtful reputation! Only a man could have come up with that. Nowadays I would not mind to be called that, sounds like adventure,free sprit and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love all those blues. And yes. The base supporting the car seems so ugly. Maybe if it was a different colour, blending into the landscape, that would help. Fascinating place.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So true about bikes - less needy! Am original from Holland, so in that part of my life my bike was my constant companion:):) And your capture with the meat and the bike made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your creativity eliminating the metal pole -- clever indeed!

    ReplyDelete