Tuesday, March 27, 2012

This is what rain looks like in Perth.....!!


According to the weather bureau (pfffft!) it would be raining in Perth on Sunday and Monday hallelujah! This was yesterday, Sunday ditto!! So it looks like it's time to pull out the big guns! A big group of us are gathering tonight on the beach where we will engage in a traditional Red Indian rain dance to invoke the rain spirits into spilling some of their precious drops our way. No seriously, that's not going to happen, it will just be me, alone out in my back garden having a 'hissy fit' haha! When we were having our walk around the marina, I spotted this bicycle parked right ON the beach, with it's owner, wearing a bright yellow fishnet tee shirt and a very dark tan, a short way away, I so wanted to ask him if I could take his photo, but instead walked all the way around, over the bridge above, and zoomed in from about where the yellow umbrellas in the right hand corner are and got an excellent shot of his hands and feet. So tell me, how do you go about approaching a person and asking if you can take their picture? Hope your week has started off well.....

30 comments:

  1. Hi, Grace. No rain here either.

    When it comes to taking shots of people, I am on the shy side. I guess I am afraid they will say not. Anyhoo...

    To answer your question about the dam and what it was used for...during this American civil war, Columbus, GA was a main supplier of textiles for the Confederate Army. The dams were used to generate power for the textile mills. The dam that is currently being removed has been there about 130 years.

    Good week, barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm too shy to ask too - usually try to do it surreptitiously like you did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a long and funny comment and it disappeared. Sorry about that! Your photos are very fun and funky and inspired me but ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace, I would never guess you are too shy to approach someone to take their picture!

    Let them see your camera and see you take a picture of something else that is near them, then go up with a big smile and say "Interesting shirt . . . can I take your picture?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. It like that here. They call for 50-90% chance and nothing. When it's a 10% chance it comes down in buckets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it looks glorious and pollen free. I want to be right there, with YOU!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bicycle shot! I'm not very good at asking permission either. I do every now and then, like the gentleman decked out in his St. Patrick's Day finery. But, I somehow new he'd be expecting to have his picture taken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of the people shots on my blog are of street or stage performers and I don't ask permission. Candid shots are usually so much better than posed ones.

    Your reference to a rain dance made me laugh. Still chuckling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep the sun, you don't want rain.
    Pretty girls who ask for my picture are always welcome.
    All those years and none have approached so far.....!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait for the rain, I love winter so much, not that it ever gets really cold here, but, it does occasionally get wet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ce qui me plaît le plus, Gracie, c'est ce vélo de femme qui attend sa maîtresse. Sans doute est-elle venue jusqu'à la plage, dans l'espoir de se baigner... Mais un beau marin, l'a appelée, depuis son yatch, et elle est partie avec lui... Sans doute pour le début d'une belle histoire d'amour...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the top shot!

    I'm not too good at asking people, you may have noticed there are very few people on VDP... I even blur some faces due to French privacy laws...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonjour again Grace! Excellent news: go and have a look at Picasa, you'll see some changes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Weather forecasts? Ha, ha, ha! A raindance is more serious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have many restrictions due our privacy laws...
    Beautiful photos, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the shot of the guys feet. My daughter always asks and rarely is turned down.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, great looking yellow shirt and feet! What more do you need to make a great shot!! I'll try to package some rain and send to you, Grace, it's supposed to rain all week here and that's one forecast that's rarely ever wrong in Seattle!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  18. As for me, I never approach. I just click from far away. :-)
    And the weather..... well all weather forecasters are the same all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is tough, sometimes just when i want to ask, the reply is immediate rejection with neagtive remarks. Rather the precise frontal portrait, may really be better to use a fast long lens like 200mm f2.8 or even longer lens to do candids. So, i also sometimes use a little higher ISO in bright day light with lowesr aperture jsut hopemto get fast shutter for people candid from a distance !

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are having some beautiful weather in the UK.. 10c degrees above the norm. Lovely sunshine 20c but still scraping ice off the windscreen in the morning.

    Perth looks wonderful.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rain. Yes, I think we have this as well, now and then. Not for a really long time though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the name of the restaurant in the back. Maybe they can breake some water for you...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well! The rain passed you by Grace ... But we had a real soaking here and it was most welcome. I'm so pleased he parked his bicycle at the post .. It makes for the perfect post-card pic.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Never thought I'd say it... but we could use some rain here :-)
    Gorgeous pics as always, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great shots, Grace. I am usually discreet when taking photos of people and respect their privacy. If I see something really interesting I just take a photo and if they say something I then explain. Most people are fine about it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Grace, if it rains please send some here. There are so many fires going on and it's just early spring!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great rain shot, Gracie!
    Looks like your rain dance needs to be BIG!

    I don't approach people to ask them for their picture, I hate it. I either hide or don't take the picture at all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...