Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Yagan Square Nyumbi..



The main reason we went into the city on Friday night was to see and participate in Yagan Square Nyumbi, a celebration of Aboriginal traditional song and dance. The name Yagan was chosen to reflect the historical and cultural significance of the area to the Noongar people, the area traditionally an important meeting place for Aboriginal people, particularly for women, who gathered food from the lakes that were once in the area. The celebrations began with the traditional smoking ceremony.The smouldering of native plants to ward off bad spirits, the audience more than happy to join in..


It was ladies night on Friday. The stories related to the dances were wonderful, my favourite the story of how in the Dreaming the willy wagtail was a great hunter who was one day robbed of his catch by Wardong the crow and Dwerda the dingo, the wagtail never forgot this crime which is why it angrily attacks crows and dogs much bigger than itself! I know that to be true as I have also been seen off by one of these feisty little birds more than once:) I enjoyed the story through dance so much  I forgot to take pics. It was excellent to see the amphitheater filled with both visitors and Perthites, we will definitely go back, I bet the photographer below got some fantastic shots! Happy Wednesday, take care and stay safe..  


24 comments:

  1. Your last shot is my favourite of the group, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like it was just as much fun on a Friday night as ABBA was for me! The American Indians also have a "smoking" tradition. They burn sage to ward of evil spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great time of culture and learning. Nice smiling faces in that last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good you could participate and help keep these traditions alive. Bad spirits would have no chance here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun event. Curiously I have a photo of our Wagtail on my blog today, a much more peaceable individual than yours by the sound of things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...what an interesting event, thanks for taking me along. I read yesterday the Australia has decided that aboriginal people can't be deported, deported to where?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our diversity - especially our host cultures - are our TREASURES!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lucky were you to see this event, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful photos you made of this special event Grace! So interesting to see and read about, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great event. I used to attend Native American pow-wows, but have not been to any since I have been attached. One thing I find with me is if I go somewhere to do photography I do that. If I go do something else (or Mrs. M is along) even if I have a camera; I generally don't take one shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like events being opened with a smoking ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing adventure! Your photos are so expressive and what a good time for all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would enjoy that celebration too, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great event. Nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just seeing it, Grace, has me coughing. LOL!
    Great pictures.
    It´s always ... I´m too German ;-) It´s great! Celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How interesting, and you always take such beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nice pictures.
    Great and very special to see these rituals.

    Greetings, Marco

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great celebration! Love the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds really interesting. Would have loved to have joined you. Hope all is well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great to see these celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never believed that i will be happy again after much frustration. I have been rejected by my husband after Six(6) years of marriage just because he met another woman and he left me and the kids to suffer. One day when i was reading through the web i stumbled at a post on how chief dr lucky the great spell caster has helped people to restore broken marriages and relationships and curing of diseases. I emailed him immediately to help my situation via: chiefdrlucky@gmail.com He told me not to worry that my husband will return to me begging and shedding tears of forgiveness. I am so happy that my husband actually returned to me in 48 hours after i obeyed the words and instructions of chief dr lucky. contact him today in any of your problems for a lasting solution:
    If you want your ex lover back.
    If you want to be cured of Herpes, Fibroid Cancers and other diseases.
    You want to be rich and famous.
    You want to be promoted in your office.
    If you want to win the troubling court cases.
    IF you wan to win lottery
    You want your husband/wife to be yours forever.
    If you want to divorce or stop your divorce.
    Pregnancy spell to conceive and bear baby.
    Contact chief dr lucky via: chiefdrlucky@gmail.com or call/whats app +2348132777335 for lasting spell solution to all your problems. His website: http://chiefdrluckysolutionhome.website2.me/  

    ReplyDelete