Monday, August 20, 2018

1930's Icon..



You would have seen the 1930's pylon on Cottesloe Beach hundreds of times during Sculpture by the Sea below, or even while having tea here, somehow it appears framed by the artworks in so many of my shots. The pylon, part of the beach’s pre WWII shark net, is the only structure left, the others destroyed by bad weather over the years. The pylon here has also suffered damage, repairs carried out out earlier this year have sparked debate whether to spend more or to ask the public if they want the pylon a) replaced with a commissioned sculpture, b) kept and improved in its current form or c) the offshore site used for a diving platform. My vote without doubt would go to b.. I can't imagine this scene without this 1930's icon. What do you think, worth saving or not? Happy new week, take care and stay safe..


22 comments:

  1. I agree! And we don't like change! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...turning a beach into an art gallery, GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's worth saving because if you didn't, the people would miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was a moored buoy. Keep as is and maintain is my thought, so b for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since that pylon has been there so long it would be a shame to lose it now. My vote is to maintain and keep it, not that my opinion counts for that much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with you. Dave the icon. Esp since you have so much wonderful new art

    ReplyDelete
  7. agree, save it, on the other note that beach looks like a really fun place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, It's worth saving _()_
    Amazing and great art works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks a bit affected by the time, but an icon has to stay I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am all for anything historic being restored and saved 😊
    Have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep it and restore it - it looks classic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would vote keep it and upkeep it, but if not maybe it can be moved onto land!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Things like this are a part of history and worth saving forever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. This is truly embarassing, Grace! I´ve seen it but I haven´t registered.
    b)!

    ReplyDelete