Wednesday, August 23, 2017

It's that time of the year...



If I was like seriously that's not ever going to happen ever canoeing out on the ocean waves and this sight popped up so near me you wouldn't see my paddles they'd be spinning so speedily in the opposite direction. Below also :)


The mother Southern Right Whale and her calf slowly making their way down from the warmer waters off the Kimberly's to rest for awhile and thrill onlookers along the coast of WA before heading down to the Antarctic to feed. Diver Bill took these shots from the same place that I took the shots here..a much more overcast kind of day. Whales are a bit like children, only a lot bigger :) when you want them to perform sometimes they refuse, but just a glimpse can be a beautiful experience. 


This is too close below.. no really it is for the canoeist anyway. The guidelines state that 100mt is the closest you can get and with a mother and calf situation why would you even try to get so close! I was hoping for a breach or two :) maybe next time, merci beaucoup for the pics Bill. Happy Wednesday, take care and stay safe... P.s. A whale-watching trip is on the cards!


22 comments:

  1. Magnificent creatures! Ten right whales have died off the coast of eastern Canada this wummer. Such a tragedy. It was determined the deaths are from collisions with ships. Ships are required to reduce speed in these waters now. Hope they abide by the regulation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I enjoy the ocean from the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What treat to see this wonderful sight. I would either have to see it from the shore or from a very big boat or as I'm seeing it today in these photos. You won't catch me in a tiny little boat like that one either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got an eclipse and you got whales. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing sight! Will you be going out on a boat to whale-watch, Grace? ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen whales off the South African coast, they are amazing to see.
    Yes you did ask me before about a tripod and I also answered :-) No I have a steady hand and non of the things I photograph hang around long enough for me to set up a tripod. I mostly use my Nikon 55 -300mm telephoto lens for my photos.
    Hope you are feeling better, take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, a whale show. How special is that, Grace. I agree with you, no small boats are acceptable to be this close to a whale. It's a beauty seeing them though.
    Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice photos. It pays to steer clear of the whales. They've flipped some rather large whale watcher boats off the East coast of the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shooting whales is like shooting a perfect wave in my book. "Oh, yes! Perfect!" Click...a second after perfection. (And that canoeist is crazy.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is illegal to be that a close. A good slap with a whale tail will sort the canoeist out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Grace, those views are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photo's Grace, I wouldn't be so close in a canoe indeed...
    I once watched the whales in Canada on a tour on a boat. It is amazing how high they jump up from the water.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a treat Grace. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so funny, we just spent the last four days on Lake Superior in Duluth Minnesota and these photos could (almost) been taken there! Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It must be very special to see whales so up close, Grace, but I agree, those people are crazy getting so near!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my Grace! These are wonderful photos. I've never seen anyone using a canoe in the ocean before.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merveilleux spectacle et splendides photos...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Guys this is very wonderful site.I am very likely to this site.i have more information from this site thanks for sharing
    ดูหนังใหม่

    ReplyDelete