Saturday, January 11, 2020

The time for change..



My Sydney famille flew home yesterday morning after spending three weeks with us over Christmas and New Year. When they left NSW the devastating fires had already been burning since September, they are still burning now, as they are in Victoria also. In New Zealand 'snow and glaciers have turned brown after being exposed to dust from the Australian bushfires, which could increase glacier melt up to 30%'. So far we have been more fortunate here in WA , but with record breaking heat and drought conditions most of Australia is like a tinder-box.. all it takes is one spark! Lives lost, homes gone, millions of acres of land lost and heartbreakingly the unique Australian wildlife, some of the endangered species possibly lost forever. Damn right people are going to protest, as they did all over Australia yesterday evening. Here in Perth the Climate Change rally was well supported, you might notice a lot of the signs refer to our not so popular at the moment Prime Minister who most feel left it too late to come to the party, I think he has literally burnt his chances of being re-elected.


There was a more substantial police attendance than usual at rallies in Perth.. the effects of the catastrophic fires are making people angry, and frightened also I think. The police horses below were amazing, despite the crowds they stood perfectly still for an hour until they had passed. With horses in the city you have to watch out for smelly surprises, I saw at least one mobile absorbed walker step in the merde, made me think of my visit to Paris :) Well that was a pretty sobering first post back but it has been a shocking time for Australia. Thank you to all who sent messages over the last few weeks. We have had wonderful time with our Sydney family, the grandchildren get more adorable each year 💙I hope you have had a good Christmas and New Year period, looking forward to catching up over the weekend, take care and stay safe.. 


26 comments:

  1. ...the entire world knows this, but our leaders have their heads in the sand. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I´m with you with the merde, Grace! Welcome back, so sad your family had to go into the middle of the fearful chaos.
    Aborigines used to burn down streches of land so if there is a fire it cannot run loose, I´ve heard, it´s called Fire-stick farming.
    Politicians stopped this and that might also be one reason for this huge drama.
    (The horses are awesome!)

    Rumours here in Germany say some fires were lit on purpose by frustrated people - I hope that is not true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure that you had a good Christmas with the family and I wish you a healthy and prospourous 2020. Just hope that you get lots of rain very soon but not so it floods!!

    Every time I look at the TV I want to cry, so many animlas lost in Australia and so many being treated for burns. Those that survive have to rely of people feeding them. Horrrific. Stay safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back Grace.
    Our TVs tell every day about the terrible fires in Australia, you hear and see unimaginable things ..
    I wish you all the best for 2020, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to see you back and that you are safe. I have thought of you many times as I've watched the coverage of the fires.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all so heartbreaking Grace... especially when I think of all the loss of animals 😔

    ReplyDelete
  7. God bless Australia and her people! PLEASE! Bless the animals! A holocaust truly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back Grace!
    Maybe the government should let those near the fire have some time with the 24 arsonists that have been arrested. I have never had pity on any arsonist or firebug since one set our valley on fire when I was about 10 year sold. Signed up for the fire crew at 14 and still wish I were on the Hot Shots and able to come to the great land down under. Hope the fires are soon brought under control.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, Grace. I missed you.

    Australia has been on my mind a great deal lately!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back, Grace. We see the news here everyday about the horrific fires. It's so sad for everyone especially all the animals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. People have every right to be angry there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have written a lot about this recklessness about climate issues and the cynicism of our leaders. I believe that people only react when the critical situation is reached instead of anticipating.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pleased You Made It Through The 3 Weeks With The Family - Sure Hope There Were Loads Of Games, Fun Outings, Belly Laughter, And Delicious Meals To Consume - And Like Everyone Else Has Stated, Welcome Back - Sure Do Miss Ya!!

    Happy New Year Perth,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to see you back and hear that you had a good Christmas and New Year. Your climate change protest looks very large. I think ours here was somewhat subdued by the Premier requesting people not to protest and use valuable police resources at this time, and the fact that ironically, it was raining.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All humans should be working to cure the climate crisis. We have little time left and should be active now. Strong series of pictures. I especially like your horse photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe the fires over there, we just feel so much for all the people and animals, a dreadful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back Grace!
    I missed you. I am happy that you and your family are healthy and well.
    What happens there with the terrible fire keeps us busy for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel so sorry for your country, we see daily images on televison here of the fires and the destructions.The world is literally on fire....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome back Grace. We've been lucky in WA, although the last couple of days we've had a few odd fires just south of where I am and I could smell the smoke in the air.
    That was a bit rally in the city, I saw it on the news.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome Back.
    Thanks for the post and pics.
    Best wishes for 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome back. Wishing comfort, compassion, and help for all impacted by the fires.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not sure how I missed your post but, I'm glad you are back. I've been thinking a lot about Australia and the horrible fires. It really is catastrophic.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i' m following all this on tv...solidarity with all the people in trouble for the fire.. EW

    ReplyDelete
  24. You were missed. I keep checking the map of the fires, hoping your part of the country is not at risk. Great pictures...

    ReplyDelete