Friday, January 31, 2020

Never judge a book by its cover..



 'Before we call for the wrecking ball, we could look again at our concrete beasts. Below that rough skin, we might see a little brutish charm' .

You have seen pics of the Brutalist architectural style of Art Gallery WA here. Directly opposite is the State Library of WA. The exterior of the library, in true Brutalist fashion looks a little severe, but once inside the spacious multi-levels of the library are light, bright and have fabulous views out over the Perth Cultural Centre and the city. It was unusually quiet when we were there a few days ago. Brutalist buildings are often on the world's ugliest buildings list, check it out and see if there is a prominent piece of Brutalist architecture in your city, I must admit some of them certainly had my flabber-gasted :) Happy Friday, take care and stay safe..


15 comments:

  1. I find brutalist architecture is more interesting inside than out. That's the case with this.

    We have some of it here, including the National Arts Centre, which has had some of that severity softened with the addition of the glass enclosures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like any style it could get over used. However, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...what a beautiful building!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Good job we do not all have the same opinion. I have to say I love the historic buildings but I am not fond of modern! Hope you are well and not coughing!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have figured out whether brutalist architecture is in the Netherlands ...
    With me in the city that is certainly not! Is too small and too conservative for something like that. The buildings that you have presented to us are beautiful ... also on the outside!
    The Ministry of Finance building was built in this style, I just discovered! And that is in The Hague.
    Nice end of the week Grace! 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree though the Geisel Library is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a fine building, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes but in a time of fires, raising sea levels, and hurricanes, they are starting to look safe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure where our close culture center is. I think I will google it

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are some really interesting buildings on that link you provided but, I wouldn't call all of them ugly. However, that one in Milan is certainly on the ugly list. I remember seeing it when I was there last summer. I also remember that I my first thought was "wow, that's ugly". :-) Your library on the other hand is quite handsome. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At times the interiors can work but generally I don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very funny article in the Telegraph and your library is far from the ugliest one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The library isn't too bad compared to some of the others on the list.
    I don't think I've ever gone inside the State Library.
    Have a nice weekend Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, poor Prague, now that is like really ugly! And that thing in Johannesburg looks like a prison.
    Grace, I wonder if these architects were drunk?
    But Aldar headquarters I like, or the Fang Yuan.
    Braunschweig still has some Bunkers, brrr. And the student´s home right around our corner might also fit into this category!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know what this style was called now I feel the need to wander around trying to find it!

    ReplyDelete