Saturday, November 16, 2019

Portraiture prize..



What's not to love on a steaming hot day in the city than to seek refuge in the cool, calm, quiet of  Art Gallery WA. We went to see the Lester Prize for Portraiture which was displayed in the  'grand, classical buildings of Perth's first police complex now housing the Art Gallery of Western Australia's historical collection'. It's a little like stepping down into the past in this section of the gallery, which of course I love :) I picked five of the portraits to show but you can get an idea of them all in the poster below. I liked the way the artist above painted his friend, both students of meditation, as if he were levitating..


I particularly liked the portraits below because if you read the words they reference a major flaw in our society then and even still today unfortunately. I really hope the words are clear enough to read when you look closer. There were many that I wished I had taken closer shots of, they were brilliant,  so realistic they looked like photographs. Some people really were at the front of the queue when they gave out artist skills :) Happy Saturday, take care and stay safe.. 


18 comments:

  1. That first one is a photograph surely! Incredible talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fine to see the portrait work of these artists. Thank you, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many talented artists featured in a wonderful exhibition.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was sure that first one was a photo, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great collection, and I think I broadly agree with your choices among them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful series, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The artist mother is my favourite of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like The Coastal Cowboy and Banksia Grandis. What a good way to spend a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You chose some really excellent examples here. I bet this was a fascinating exhibit. I think it takes a very special artist to capture the essence of another human being.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire always people who can make such beautiful paintings. I miss any of those talents, still drawing like a todler...:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's nice to see. Wonderful all these nice portrets.
    Good for a visit this gallery.

    Greetings, Marco

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have liked this exhibition. It must have stimulated your own imagination about portraiture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It´s an interesting one for sure, Grace. The cowboy is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's funny but your first photo reminds me of my trips to places like this. I always like to stand back and watch others looking and often remarking on their thoughts in the piece. It's always just as fun as the art itself!

    ReplyDelete