Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Walking on water..



We arrived in Busselton, a three hour drive south west of Perth just after sunup. Such a long time since we were down this way the main purpose of our visit was to re-visit the Busselton Jetty. Stretching almost 2km out to sea, you may have to embiggen to see the Underwater Observatory waaay out there at the end of the jetty, the Busselton Jetty is the longest wooden jetty, see aerial shot here in the Southern Hemisphere. It was a lovely way to rack up a huge number of steps, but if not inclined to walk you can catch the jetty train, which I would love to have seen but we were too early..


We were what a shame also too early for both the underwater observatory and the underwater helmet walk 😉  A working jetty since 1865 it has survived 'neglect, fire, cyclones and government indifference, thanks to the passionate and dedicated work of the community'. There are some gorgeous old black & white photos of the jetty over the years, scroll down here. The architecture in Busselton itself was a little disappointing so we decided to head to our next destination an hour away to explore and have lunch. More tomorrow. Happy Wednesday, take care and stay safe.. P.s. the jetty itself was so worth the trip..



29 comments:

  1. Lovely views! The gulls and chicks shot is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time we visited the jetty was before it underwent a big renovation and the train wasn't running then. It was a long walk to visit the underwater observatory, but it was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Southend Pier with added sunshine! (Southend Pier stretches 2 Km into the Thames estuary - and it's got a little train too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...wow, what a wonderful spot. Thanks for taking me along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why you made the long drive to visit this jetty. Too bad the tram and observatory was not open for business. So, what do you have against soybeans? It is the basis of tofu. The beans are pressed for oil (20%) and the rest is soybean meal (80%) used mostly for animal and fish feed as it is high in fiber and protein. The oil makes clean biodiesel and is widely used in food. Much of the vegetable oil sold in stores is soybean oil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful morning shots. And Art! Aloha, Dear G

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazingly long! What a great walk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very impressive, Grace. Lovely views and the gull family is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great set of photos but I just love the seagulls and those dear little chicks, so very cute. Take care, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Walking On Sunshine - Go Ahead, Sing It - I'm Walking On Sunshine

    Cheers
    P.S. On Air At 8:30am YOUR Time Zone

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find it interesting your trees have no leaves and our is in full bloom.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting place for a walk!

    Love the baby gulls. As many gulls as I’ve seen over my lifetime I’ve never seen the young like that! Great capture, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The jetty is great. You do believe me when I say we didn't have enough time to walk out to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there a railway on that jetty?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots! Looks like a great adventure. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that's a long jetty a great way to rack up steps. Great photos too. Love the seagulls and their babies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a long jetty. I had no idea seagull chicks were brown, clearly haven't seen any.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 2 km, wow, that is impressive indeed, Grace!
    I thought the Sellin Pier was long... with 400 m, LOL.
    You have a tiny Underwater Observatory there, too, but too many people for my liking (dumb me, actually!).
    Beautiful pictures and, awww. I´ve never seen baby-seagulls!
    This "too early"-thing is a pest at times, no? ;-)
    The walk sounds... scary and tempting! " SeaTREK"!
    It´s a long drive (faster by train maybe), but it is on my Perth list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow what a long distance of a jetty! That gull with young ones, amazing, have never seen such a fluffy one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Magnificas estas fotografias e aproveito para desejar a continuação de uma boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    Livros-Autografados

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can see that this is a great destination. It really is something to admire. Your photos are fantastic. I LOVE those tiny baby gulls too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow!! That would be a neat walk or train ride!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Take me to your water! What gorgeous views, thanks for always showing us these places, it's almost as good as being there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...