Saturday, June 15, 2019

Those brave young men in their flying machines..



I can't believe it has taken us so long to visit the Aviation Heritage Museum in Bull Creek. It is on foreign soil after all.. the south side of the Swan River.. kidding 😉 so worth the trip. We originally went to check out the star of the show a magnificent Lancaster Bomber, one of only two in Australia today. P's father, a pilot in a Pathfinder squadron, flew a Lancaster in WW11 which made the visit even more special. The museum's collection is housed in two huge hangar-like pavilions holding many aircraft both civilian and military plus a fascinating collection of artifacts of significance..


The shot below, taken from the viewing landing, to show the collection of aircraft in the north wing of the museum. Taken with the fish-eye lens so not as clear as it could be but gives you an overall look. Although it was fascinating to see the aircraft it was the black and white photos of the fliers that captivated my attention. I am in awe of the bravery of those young men going up in the some of the flimsiest of planes knowing that there was every chance they might not return. I can't believe I took so few detail shots of the Lancaster.. might have to go back :) Happy weekend, take care and stay safe..


26 comments:

  1. I love aviation museums and that one looks fantastic. Complete with a typewriter also. You've got to go inside the Lancaster if permitted. They are really neat aircraft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...it does look out and dusty today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you didnt have to fly to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. J' adore aviation! Merci 🛩️✈️🛫

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing planes, especially the Lancaster! I would enjoy that museum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting place that must have been to tour, Grace! My grandfather and 3 uncles worked at AVRO here in Malton Ontario so I have always heard stories of the Lancaster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh - my kind of place, Grace. Wonderful shots too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love to visit a museum like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aviation museums are great places of interest. I recognized your aerial cameras from yesterday as being from the 1940s-50s. My son use to repeatedly watch a documentary on the Lancaster bomber when he was young, so I do know something about these impressive aircraft.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is very impressive and so nice to see the planes so close by. Would love to visit this museum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow would love to go there. There is a good aviation museum in Johannesburg. Enjoy your Sunday Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. This museum really looks great. I've never visited one like it. Yes, the people of the Commonwealth forces who enlisted in such aircraft were really very brave. Their boldness is responsible for the long and exceptional period of peace that we are experiencing here in our latitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cannot imagine being the pilot in any of these planes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bravery of those young men was amazing. We owe them so much. Great photos, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was totally wrong yesterday about where you were. The teleprinter and the morse code message tape perforator look interesting. There looks to be a lot of aircraft in the museum.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Museums like these are treasures and remind us of the heroism and risks of prior generations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never visited the Museum and live 10 min away and have friends who live in the RAAFA retirement village where the museum is located. Next time let me know and I'll go with you Grace :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grace - and Sami!!! - you made me so laugh! :-)
    Sami and I last time just dropped Ingo off there this year and had a great day together.
    I went with Ingo in 2006 and was bored to the brim until two retired pilots took care of me.
    I´ve seen it in 2006, why would I go back in 2019? ;-)
    But glad you enjoyed it - next time take Ingo, hahaha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Unfortunately, you can not blog the smell of the old days. I was there in February and enjoyed it. And the staff is there for all questions. Did you talk to the 'old pilots'?

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband loves places like this. I just wander around with my camera because I think they are quite photogenic. My Dad was an engineer on Catalina seaplanes during the war so my eye lights up when I see one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the tour! How exciting. I'd love to spend all day there.
    My father piloted a B-24 Liberator bomber in the war.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Does the Lanc fly? The only Lancaster that is in flying condition here in Canada is based at Mount Hope, the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum near Hamilton, Ontario. I would love to have a ride in it but sadly it's a bit out of my price range, $3,600 per seat for a 1 hour flight.
    https://www.warplane.com/aircraft/flights/buy.aspx
    As I had 2 sons, I spent a lot of time wandering around museums like this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing shots in what looks like a really great museum.

    ReplyDelete