Thursday, January 24, 2019

Gotcha!



For the last few months I have been woken up at sunrise, 5.30, by the elusive laughing kookaburra above. Not that I mind, in fact it's rather lovely to lie in bed and listen to the various bird-life in my area waking up. Despite the name the butcherbird has one of the sweetest songs, listen here (cut in to about 2min47sec to get the group sing-song). Then there are the mudlarks and the wattle-birds. A veritable symphony of bird song. Have tried to catch a shot of the kookaburra returning with a mouthful of food for it's family many times but by the time I get my camera pfffft it's gone leaving behind the echo of a mocking laugh to taunt me. Sitting on the patio at the weekend he was so intent on his prey below.. I have to be honest it was P who spotted him high up in the tree next door but at last.. gotcha you little mocker 😉 Happy Thursday, take care and stay safe.. P.s. don't look too closely, he was a looong way away!


25 comments:

  1. Love your photos and the video too Grace! I wouldn't mind hearing those lovely songs outside my window every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice capture getting a photo of it sounds me after a Jay over here, they are very elusive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how cool! I loved the song. And that bleu on the wing, tres chic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, fabulous shot, wish it was mine. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, these are fantastic photos. It makes me think of my childhood girl scouts years when we would sing the Kookabura song. I'm not sure I've ever seen one in person, not even in a zoo. But, to see them in the wild enjoying life in your neighborhood tree is a real treat.
    PS, I loved the butcherbird video too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great photos an an excellent sound they produce! I wouldn't mind to wake up with this music but as long as it is not to early.......:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these birds, Grace!
    In German they are also called "Lachender Hans", laughing Hans :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty bird and I love their singing performance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Sharon I remember the Kookabura song too. He is bigger than I expected!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The kookaburra sounds like the jungle sounds in movies.

    I expected the butcherbirds to break into the notes of some familiar aria. Gorgeous!

    You live in paradise, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done you.

    Butcher bird song is amazing but how can a bird with such a sweet song be so horrible when killing its prey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots of the Kookaburra. My students loved making one laugh last year, during a field trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love our kookaburra visitors in my peninsula world. They are such characters. And the sound of the babies trying to laugh is hysterical. They sound like grumpy old men. I must admit I am spoilt with getting photos of them. Our guys don't seem to mind at all. I am sure they pose for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...so that's what a kookaburra looks like. I just moved a tad closer to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wouldn't mind waking up to that! I was thinking of you...watched a show on Netflix called Instant Hotel and it's from Australia! I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have amazing birdlife in Australia! Really beautiful. And the butcherbird singing is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good one grace. Thanks for the butcherbird video, I am not that familiar with their call ... not as distinctive as the kookaburras.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well caught Grace. I love seeing kookaburras.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There was a song about kookaburras I learned as a child and it all just came back to me seeing the name and picture!

    ReplyDelete