Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Old Swan Brewery.....

This shot of the old Swan Brewery was  taken from high up in Kings Park (Kings Park), you can see the city to the left and also the Narrows bridge going from the city over to South Perth. The brewery was founded in 1837 but only occupied this spot (Swan Brewery) by the side of the Swan River from 1879. There was a bit of 'argy bargy' as the area was being occupied at the time and deemed to be Aboriginal land, but the brewery went ahead anyway.  When the brewery was relocated in the late 1970's the Government claimed the land for commercial use and this time the Noongar (Noongar) Aboriginal community set up camp on the site, their claim was opposed by 'the Brewery Preservation Society' (hmmm!!) the conflict lasted several months, and in January 1990 the police broke through picket lines to allow development to begin. The renovated 1879 brewery building is now home to a cafe, restaurant, function centre and a 'micro-brewery'. You will see if you click this link (old brewery) that it is the perfect location for this type of enterprise, hugely popular with locals and tourists alike, I can't help wondering how it would have been developed if the Noongar community had won their case!! Hope you have a great day.....

30 comments:

  1. belle residence, la couleur est tres belle et j'aime le pont entre les deux

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely captures of the old Swan brewery, Grace. I have taken the same photos when I visited King's Park last time I was in Perth. It's a magnificent place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How huge it all looks. How friendly as well. Thank you. Please have a good Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks a beautiful building, glad there is still some brewing done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a development with a lot of character and a great location. Sitting there nursing a brew while enjoying the vista would be terrific. Fortunately, as an American, I am entirely ignorant of the issues involving the aborigines' claims, so I don't need to have an opinion, do I?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The building looks fabulous! Your whole pic is too, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. convoluted history (like here) fascinating!


    Aloha from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting post for the day and great captures! Terrific looking building! Hope your week is off to a good start!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a beautiful spot, no doubt, but I wonder about your last question. Based on general reading and all of two weeks of my life spent in Australia, I have the impression that your native peoples have had a bad time of it. As bad or perhaps worse than ours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful views. I love the look of the brewery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They don't make the XXXX? or is it only Queensland Brew?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't get me started on first peoples please... It is a nice building though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots Grace and the history is just so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dispossession is a constant theme of Aboriginal life! I wonder as well what may have happened if they had gained it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great view and amazing colours Grace! Interesting story too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This building is very beautyful, and it's very interesting to learn the story behind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting story about the history of this city ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. interesting information, wonderful images of your cityscape.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have raised an interesting question. I wonder if they would have torn down the building(s)?

    It's quite beautiful and I would guess is a popular destination for locals and tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  20. HHHMMMmmm... wonderful RED!! But isn't that the colour of shame??!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's a very attractive brick building with a whole new life!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your post reminds me of my days as a beer can collector: Swan was a precious brand here, quite difficult to get!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adding this to my list of need to see when I finally get to Australia .. I will get there .. I sure hope its before I need a walker ..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Times they are a changing

    ReplyDelete
  25. aimee's cookies make me drool...both pinwheels and ninjas. i would weigh eight thousand pounds if i lived anywhere near her. i don't know how you're remaining so slim. did you teach her to bake like that?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have read few of the articles on your website, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon.

    href=http://” www.appleparking.co.uk/” Heathrow Meet And Greet Car Parking

    ReplyDelete