Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Right under my nose..

 

Do you see it above? I absolutely did not until P pointed it out. The September theme for City Daily photo bloggers around the world is 'right under our nose'. While on one of our walks a few years back I strolled within an arms reach past the tawny frogmouth sitting camouflaged to the max in the crook of a paperbark tree, before P called me back to look. Described as 'one of the best examples of cryptic plumage and mimicry in Australian birds the tawny frogmouth perch low on tree branches through the day, their silvery grey plumage allows them to freeze into the form of a broken tree branch and become practically invisible'. It really was, although if you pull the shot above right in you will see that the eye is ever so slightly open looking at me.. 

I have to admit the tawny frogmouth was one of the most exciting birding finds for me because of the rarity in seeing them so close. He/she although an efficient hunter, was a darling creature, relaxing it's camouflage pose to turn and look straight at me, the expression saying it all :) Looking forward to seeing what was right under the noses of CDP'ers around the world. Happy Wednesday, take care and stay safe.. P.s. It is the first official day of spring here in Australia 🌸

Visit CDP Theme Day to see more 'under our nose' shots from around the world..



23 comments:

  1. This one really does blend in well. That last shot says so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy to miss. Good one for the theme day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Grace,
    LOVE the final photo, that frogmouth did pose so well for you.
    Glad that P spotted it!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing creature. I would have missed this guy completely. And, what a shame that would be. It's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is incredible, Grace! Has to be the best one for the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's extraordinary. Our Nightjars pull off a similar trick but nowhere near as convincingly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my what a sweet, adorable capture in your last photo! Amazing, I love it when this happens and later you see what you didn't expect in one of your photos. Thanks for sharing the info too as I had no idea what is was, and I agree it does appear to be from the owl family but it isn't. Wonderful post for this coming month takes so much. I'm still working on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to your spring.

    Great photos of a wonderful bird. Love the one where it is looking at you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just from the headline I knew who would have spotted it first. The front on photo is amazing. Doesn't it look like it is made of bark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, the third photo of yours I have show R, the kookaburra, Pinnacles and now the Frogmouth.

      Delete
  10. The only thing that gives this bird away in your first photo is its feet. Otherwise I would have looked right past it. What a great looking bird. Love your photos, and the bird does look disgusted with you in your last picture. Have a wonderful spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh. Grace, I was kinda hoping for a pic of the lille blue wren!
    I really thought it was a test, checking if I will lie and say I see it.
    P sure gave me a hard time, 🤣
    Great bird, this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Grace, what a beautiful pictures you made of this bird. A lucky day for you that he would strike a pose for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfectly camouflaged, I wouldn't have spotted it. Love the last photo of it looking at you 😊.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful to see a tawny frogmouth in the wild. Well spotted Grace. They look like they are from another world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for spending your precious time to write this educative article. Good Morning Messages for Friends

    ReplyDelete
  16. idigic au is a fast growing service provider of the digital marketing industry. We are the number one place for people who want to gain more Instagram followers and Instagram likes. Our team of experts specializes in providing quality services to our clients. All our packages are reasonably priced and we offer special discounts for bulk orders.

    ReplyDelete