Thursday, June 24, 2021

Outrageous!!

 

Arriving yesterday to find one of the city's most popular cafes locked up and under threat of permanent closure, even worse demolition, chilled me to the bone even more than the wintry weather. READ THIS to get some idea why I am so angry! You all have seen countless photos that I have taken over the years while sitting in Bocellis Espresso in the heart of the city in Forrest Place it's one of my go to cafes for people of Perth shots not to mention brilliant coffee and more often than not.. cake :) Along with the Old General Post Office and Commonwealth Bank buildings Bocellis adds a touch of European charm to the square. I wait with bated breath to see if our new City of Perth Mayor has the gumption to stand with the people against an agreement that was made before he became so. Will big money once again win out over a family run business that has been here in this spot for 30 years.. I'd like to think not. Will keep you posted. Happy Thursday, take care and stay safe.. P.s. did I mention how angry this made me. P.p.s if you click the Bocellis link you can protest from afar :)


23 comments:

  1. Seems the money people are upset the cafe blocks their view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...when you lease space you are in a vulnerable position.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the view is more important, such a pity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horrible. I am with Leo and Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is disgusting! Big money always wants its way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How disturbing. I hate when things like this happen and they happen way too often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the red cups, and we as world puts to much into money.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Signed. I think we had coffee there once but I remember better from your photos over time. What shameful actions by the powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel for the businesses that have to close because of Covid. Wellington has just gone into level 2 here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People need to let their feelings be known.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Grace,
    That is absurd indeed!
    WHY do the Big Tech, Big Pharma and so on always THINK they can get everything with money/power?!
    Hoping that you will be able to keep this cultural highlight.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lets hope they can hold out with the tenacity of Mr Spiegelhalter in London's Mile End Road. If you don't know the story you can read it here:
    https://johnfinnemore.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-spiegelhalter-gap.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Indeed, I think the big money is behind it with all their cronies in city hall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. NOOOOO!!!
    HOW?!
    No, that won´t happen, Grace.
    It´s as if they took Henry away.
    No.

    Get up Fight! Or ignore it, as they state.
    No fight. I send Henry over? To ROAR BIG?

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S. I surely told them I want a coffee (with milk) next time when we can visit again. It MUST help.
    Other I drag Henry along to the new place and it will be no more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I heard about it last week, it's unbelievable, such an iconic place! Petition signed :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sad. Some people think money can buy everything, I hope they don't this time.
    Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete