Saturday, April 21, 2018

Gehry fantastical!



Well it's definitely not the Sydney Harbour Bridge! Breaking from my traditional return from Sydney view of my favourite bridge I couldn't pass up the chance to take a look at this extraordinary piece of architecture by Canadian born American architect Frank Gehry. The Dr Chau Chak Wing Building, which officially opened in February 2015 is a business school building of the University of Technology Sydney. The building design is based on the idea of a tree house but is often described as a 'squashed brown paper bag'.. also quite rightly as a masterpiece.. what do you think? It is also the first and only Frank Gehry building in Australia which is a shame.. we need a wee bit of his imaginative fabulousness here in Perth. Bear with me as I catch up, happy Saturday, take care and stay safe.. P.s. new header shot taken a few days ago in Hyde Park.. autumn has arrived! 
Visit James to see more Weekend Reflections from around the world..


27 comments:

  1. Weird, challenging, different, unusual, goofy, but I like it even if it does look like a squashed brown paper bag. Great photos, too. And so nice to have you back. Your new header is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. It breaks up the same old tired rectangles in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me Gaudì en Barcelona...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk About A Tim Burton Special. Well Captured

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love the special crooky buildings by Frank Gehry. It seems you look through wrong spectacles .I like your new header very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great header, PDP.

    The Gehry building is a treasure. It sure is a change from the usual structures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like it is out of a story book, quite odd. Great photos and thanks for sharing. Glad you are back safe and sound. Happy weekend Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new header, Grace. The building is different and unique and that is why I love it. Different is good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is my favorite architect. In Paris he built the fondation Vuitton and the French cinematheque. And there is a project in Arles. The building in your picture is really amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it, Grace! He grew up in Toronto so we have a special interest in all of his projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous building Grace! His buildings are always so out of this world, I remember the one being built in Arles when we visited in September last year.
    Your new header is pretty, Hyde Park is looking a lot more autumnal than the area near my me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great looking building. How surreal. Great photos of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow amazing building. Awesome pics.
    Loved your cover pic.
    Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks a lot like his building in Prague .One of the first for many to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great title, Grace, I love it!
    But, to be honest, Frank Gehry always reminds me of The Simpsons! :-)
    Uhhh. Autumn! I´m so glad spring is finally here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the look of this squiggly building. You are so lucky to have it in your city. Can you imagine the look on the construction foreman's face as he holds the plans.... which way up is it? This way or that way? Hmmm... scratches his head in confusion......

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing architecture!
    And Catched well by your finder screen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your new header is simply wonderful, what gorgeous colours within.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, I could spend a whole day just looking and photographing that gorgeous building. I love everything Fran Gehry does!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful new header, Grace!
    I've never seen such a building before, great architecture !

    ReplyDelete